Chapter Eight: The Shinigami Realm/New School

JANUARY 16, 2006

EARLY MORNING...STILL DARK OUTSIDE (AROUND 4:00 AM)

TOKYO, JAPAN 

                                                                      MARIE 

I was sleeping in my bed with Alex and trying to enjoy my sleep without worrying about having any dreams about Kira or the masked man. I woke up earlier around 1:00 AM to get a glass of water from the kitchen. This time, Christy had gone to bed and I was greeted by Khloe who was looking straight at me when I exclaimed after I heard a noise. Thankfully, I already went through one sleep without having any dreams about Kira or the masked man and I for sure knew I wasn't going to have any again. The spell seemed to be working! I was so happy that the spell worked because I felt like I was going slightly insane the more and more I thought about Kira. It probably must have been because I now lived in Japan and there were plenty of Kira worshippers. No, it's definitely because this was the country of Light Yagami, and this was the country where Kira did his killing spree. 

Just then, as I slept more and more, I woke up and found myself in a cloudy and dark place that didn't look anything like Japan. It looked dark, cold, and creepy like it was the Underworld...not exactly Hell. I've heard people say, "Hell was scorching hot. There was a lot of pain, gnashing of teeth, and all kinds of torture." This place didn't feel hot, it felt cold. I placed my hands on my arms. Even though I had long sleeves on, I was still pretty cold. I shivered and exhaled. "It's so cold," I saw my breath in the wind. I looked around and saw nothing but a rocky land with chains and bones everywhere. "So," I heard a dark and rusty voice call out. "What do you want to do with him?" "I don't know dude," answered another voice. "I can't believe we have to take orders from you because of that human flesh Shinigami! You taught him well in life, Ryuk! But what do we do with him now?" 

I followed the direction where the voice came from. "I don't know," I heard the dark and rusty voice call out again. "I miss my apples from the human realm!" "Quit whining!" I heard a female voice call out this time. "Do you think we should bother with that Shinigami? Did you think it was a great idea for him to have a Death Note and become Kira?" "How should I know?" I heard the dark and rusty voice answer. "I was bored and I didn't know what else to do but to drop the notebook in the human realm." "Hey!" said the other guy's voice he was talking to. "Did you think that it's a good idea to be talking so loud about that human-fleshed Shinigami so loud? What if he hears you? You don't wanna hurt his feelings, do you, Ryuk? You were his friend in life." 

While following the voices, I found a black cloak with cobwebs all over it. I picked it up and dusted it off before placing it on. "And what about his girlfriend?" the guy continued again. "How long do you think she'll go on without him?" "Where? In the afterlife? Heaven or Hell?" asked the dark and rusty voice. "No," the other guy answered. "You know where she is, Ryuk! How do you think we can bring him and his girlfriend back together?" "I'm not so sure," the dark and rusty voice answered. "We're Shinigamis, not Cupid. We're Gods and Goddesses of Death, not matchmakers." He paused. "And besides, maybe someone from the human realm can bring them back together." I hit behind the large pile of bones as I heard them talking. I then got a better look at all of them. They didn't look human, they looked like they had no meat on their bones. "Do you think it's a good idea to give Brad Pitt of the Shinigamis a Death Note?" the guy asked. The being who was giving all the questions was shorter than the being who was giving all the answers meanwhile the huge salamander one stayed quiet. The being who was giving all the answers was taller and even wore this badass black outfit. He even had wings. "What do I know?" the tall figure protested back. "He's just going to look for someone interested in magic, witchcraft, and sorcery, convince them to become the Next Kira so he can see his little girlfriend again. You know what I mean, right?"