Chapter 7: Graveyard flowers 💃

Tony and his friends go to junior prom. Tony's sad that he's alone. Or is he?

"Oh, Tony! You look so handsome!"

"Thanks, mom, but you're biased, I'm your son."

Tony's mom laughs and tucks a dark red pocket square into his gray sports jacket, smoothing the collar and lapel. "Maybe, a little." His mom winks and he rolls his eyes.

His father steps forward after getting up from the couch with excessive dad noises.

"I know this is hard for you, Tony. But it's a long trip to and from Germany, and we don't have the money to fly him here, even if he would or could."

His dad pauses, reflecting on his words. "Fly. Isn't that ironic? Vampire on an airplane?" He laughs, and Tony can't help laughing with him.

"I know, dad. It just won't be the same."

"Make the best of it, Tony." His mom encourages and pulls her car keys from her purse, a gentle smile on her face that adds to her beautiful smile lines.

Tony nods reluctantly and they pile into the car, Tony and his dad in the back telling bad prom jokes as his mom drives. They thankfully arrive quickly, and Tony almost chickens out when he sees all of the couples walking in together; holding hands with flowers on their lapels and wrists. Tears heat his eyes and he looks away sharply.

"You deserve this, Tony. Have a good time, text us when you get to Sam's house."

He nods to his mom, giving them both a peck on the cheek and tight hug before making his way out of the back seat and joining the crowd of peers and hormones. After a few minutes of roaming around in the cool night, he finds familiar faces.

"Tony!" Sam calls to him, a hand up and waving happily. Tony can't help but smile back with a returning wave. She's one of those people.

"Sam," He greets with a bow that he perfected with Rudolph, "You look ravishing."

"Save the romance for when you see your man, Tony. We're here to dance and drink illegally, I will not fall for flattery."

Tony chuckles and they do an elaborate high-five routine before walking into the building the school rented out for the prom. It's an aquarium, and everywhere he looks there is a blue glow and beautiful schools of fish. He nerds out with Sam for a few minutes in front of the shark tank until Jeremy shows up, clapping a hand on both of their shoulders.

"What is up my dudes?" Clearly drunk already.

"We were having an intellectual discussion about pufferfish until you showed up." Sam snarks, folding her arms as Jeremy gives Tony an eyeroll.

"Yeah, yeah," Jeremy starts, a hand up to have Sam pause, "I have something better than a stupid fish." He pulls out three small water bottles, all filled with a clear liquid that Tony knows in his gut isn't water.

"Please tell me this isn't straight-up vodka?" Tony cringes.

"Psh," Jeremy tosses a bottle to each of them, "I wouldn't do that to you guys. It's tequila!"

Tony and Sam look at the bottles apprehensively before shrugging to one another and taking a swig, coughing morphing into laughter. Over the giddy-happiness of the next few hours, they sip their drinks, go to tanks as Tony narrates like the host of Planet Earth, and dance to bad music. While Tony is in the middle of his narration about the stingray a voice comes over the PA system.