00.prologue

Daphne and I were sitting one the swings in her backyard, enjoying the fresh air as we practiced our needlepoint. Just down the yard Elliot and Colin were practicing their fencing with Benedict coaching them along. The day was quiet, the perfect summer afternoon. As I moved my needle through I pricked my finger, earning a slight gasp. I glanced at my finger, a small droplet of blood beginning to rise beyond my skin.

"Elliot! Elliot!"

The sound of my brother, Edward, crying out for my brother gained my attention. He ran from our home, and into the backyard of the Bridgerton's where we sat. The boys fencing came to a stop, Elliot dropping his stick as he knelt to the ground. Edward reached him, out of breath and red in the face.

"What? What is it, Ed?" Elliot coaxed the boy.

Tears were welling in Edward's eyes, he wiped his face with his sleeve quickly. He refused to cry outside the safety of our home.

"Mama," Edward choked out between breaths.

Before I could even process the word Elliot had both Edward and I by the hand. My needlepoint abandoned on the ground next to Daphne. I glanced back at the abandoned Bridgerton's, each of them wore a face mixed between confusion and worry.

Upon entering our home there was an unusual silence. Elliot continued a tight hold on our wrist as he made his way up to our parents room. The hallway was filled with the house staff, parting like the red sea to let Elliot to the door. In the room our father was kneeling next to the bed, holding our mothers hand. Evangeline stood quietly in the corner holding a still crying baby. A smile made its way onto my face as I spotted my new sibling, but was quickly washed away as I noticed the tears staining Evangeline's cheeks.

"Papa?" I croaked, a lump forming in my throat blocked any clear speech.

My fathers eyes barely met mine, his face held a weakness I never knew it could hold. Elliot's grip loosened, his hands suddenly falling to his own sides. I slowly made my way to the side of my mothers bed, the fading sun providing the slightest orange light to the room.

In the bed my mother lay with her eyes closed, shallow breaths barely escaping her lips. I knelt next to my father, putting my hand over his. I could feel the tears threatening to spill as I shook my head.

"What is wrong with her?" I muttered, eyes unable to leave my mothers face.

"The doctor said she lost too much blood," My father answered in a tone just as hushed.

"But," Elliot shook his head, eyes at his feet, "Can't something be done?"

My father began sobbing quietly, his head hung to the floor. I tightened my grip on his hand, unable to look away from my mother. I watched her breathing...

In and out, in and out, in and out...

But suddenly, it stopped. I stood, releasing my fathers hand before shaking my mother lightly.

"Mama?" No response.

"Mama!" I shook her hard, tears finally falling. I couldn't stop shaking her, sobs filled the room and I could no longer tell if they were just my own. I felt the strong arms of my brother pulling me away from her, screams left my throat raw but I couldn't stop.

How could she be gone? Just this morning she sat with us at breakfast, smiling and laughing like every other day. She had just ordered a new dress from the modiste last week, excited to wear it after her birth. How could she be gone?

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

The sky was pitch black that night. The beautiful, cloudless day had at some point turned into the darkest night. I couldn't even find the moon, or a single star. Just inky black clouds waiting to burst. After the evening's events I couldn't sit still long enough to fall asleep. So instead I had returned to the Bridgerton's yard in hopes of retrieving my needlepoint.

I carried a small candle stick along with me, using it to scour the ground around the swing I had sat. Once I had searched the whole tree base I fell to my knees, candle almost flickering out as I did. Daphne had probably collected for me, in an attempt of kindness. But at this moment all I wanted was to have it myself.

The weight of the day began to settle again, and despite me thinking I had no tears left they began to warm my cheeks. I held my hand over my mouth in an attempt to quiet my sobs. How could she be gone?

"Magnolia?" A voice called from the Bridgerton house. I heard the heavy footsteps making their way to me but I could not find it in me to move even a muscle. I continued to cry, harsher as the seconds passed. How could she be gone?

"Magnolia, what is it?"

There was a strong hand on my shoulder, and through my tear-blurred eyes I could make out the candle lit figure of Colin Bridgerton.

"She gone," I breathed, "I just don't understand how she can be gone."

"Magnolia, who is gone?" He asked, pulling a handkerchief out of his pocket to wipe my face. I shook my head, but he continued to dry my eyes.

"My mother, she died in childbirth this evening."

Silence filled the night, not even a breeze dared to break it. Colin's hand froze, holding the handkerchief on my left cheek. I could see him trying to find the words, his mouth moving soundlessly, but I knew there was nothing to be said.

"I'm sorry for your loss," He settled on, hand still unmoving.

I shook my head, unable to accept the condolence because I still couldn't understand it. Sobs began to rack my body, leaving me shaking. The candles light flickered with every move, threatening to take us into total darkness. My mind was so filled with other things I failed to notice Colin remove the candle from my hand, or even him wrapping his arms around me. I didn't care if I was alone with this man in the darkness, or that I was soaking his clothes with my tears.

"Magnolia—"

"Stop," I choked, "Don't call me that please."

"Well," He hesitated, chin resting on my head, "What shall I call you then? Miss Hayward, perhaps?"

Despite everything I felt a slight chuckle escape my lips at his question. I had grown up seeing Colin Bridgerton almost everyday, his sister was my dearest friend. How could he not know what to call me?

"Maggie," I told him calmly. For the first time since I had entered my mother's room I spoke clearly, no lump in my throat to block my words.

"Everyone just calls me Maggie," I reiterated.

"Alright then, Maggie, I am afraid we will have to get you inside. I spotted your candle from my window, it may not take long for someone else to do the same."

I nodded into his chest, and slowly I felt the chill of the oncoming storm as his arms left my back. Colin stood quickly, offering me a hand before pulling me to my feet. He walked with me through the gate and to the back door of my home, hand never leaving mine. When we reached the door I felt myself freeze, unable to move as I remembered the silence waiting inside.

"Maggie?" Colin's voice was a mere whisper, thawing my mind enough to allow me to meet his eyes.

"I won't tell you it's easy, losing a parent. It's anything but in all truth. But you must start somewhere, or you'll trap yourself in that moment until you do."

I began to bite my lower lip, thinking of when Edmund Bridgerton passed away. Daphne and I were only ten. I remembered how quiet their home became, and forced myself to think of it now too. The Bridgerton's had experienced a sudden loss just as my family now was.

I nodded slowly, letting go of Colin's hand as I reached for the door. It creaked loudly through the night but allowed a sudden warmth to rush into the yard. I made my way in, about to close the door before my eyes met Colin's once more.

"Thank you," I whispered, a small smile formed on my face. Colin returned it and nodded before making his way back to his own home, candle still in hand.