Chapter Twenty

Hayat Azhar

"Hi, Sameer."

A halt occurred in my steps on the way to the kitchen upon hearing a sweet voice.

I pulled my eyebrows in curiosity, catching Laiba ahead. My mood turned sour when I saw Sameer descending the stairs, his focus on the phone in his grip.

Great.

Sameer Malik was already out of his room after only a day of being sick and I did not want to run into him following that garden incident.

Concealing myself behind some artificial plants in the hallway, I waited for Sameer to leave first.

"I heard you were sick." Laiba batted her eyelashes at him. "How are you feeling now?"

He glanced at her blankly before returning to his phone. "Better."

With that clipped answer, he began to saunter away and she rushed after him.

"Are you going out somewhere?"

"No."

The guy was clearly uninterested and annoyed. But Laiba didn't take the hint and continued to follow after him.

"Good to know that. My friend's throwing a party tonight," she stated while running her fingers through her smooth hair.

"And?" Sameer countered, his voice flat.

"And I was thinking you could go out, have a little change of scenery. It will be good for you," she encouraged with a stunning smile. But he didn't spare her a glance to notice it.

"I'll pass."

He was about to turn the corner when Laiba grabbed his arm from behind. From my position, I witnessed the rage that flashed across his face at that moment. It seemed he hated being grabbed without his consent.

The irony.

"Well, can you drop me there at least?"

Sameer clenched his jaw and pulled his arm out of her grip. He then turned to pass her a cold stare. "I'm busy. I'll let the driver drop you."

With those words, he walked away while all Laiba could do was gape at his back.

Welp, there he goes.

Once the coast was clear, I was about to step out of my hiding spot when Laiba abruptly hurled her purse at the wall.

"How dare you?!" She screamed out, making my eyes pop open in surprise. "I'm not any random girl you can ignore. People die to talk to me and I still chose you. You're ungrateful. Mark my words, Sameer. You'll regret treating me like this one day!"

I clamped my hands on my mouth to keep myself from gasping in shock.

Well, well. We have us some drama, huh?

I quietly backed away and turned to the other route towards the kitchen, not knowing how to react after what I'd witnessed.

Poor Laiba. She didn't know how much of a disrespectful jerk Sameer actually was. He wasn't worthy of her feelings. He deserved to spend his whole life alone.