Chapter Sixteen

a/n : dedicated to @Ayshgirl, there's a little surprise for you. and to @foreverstorms for filling my notifs with her comments and continuous support <3

╾═════════════╼

Hayat Azhar

"Prayer is better than sleep."

My eyes squinted open at the sound of Fajr's Adhan. The call to prayer echoed in our room from the nearby mosque.

The clock ahead pointed to six. It was relatively dark outside. A green colored zero bulb illuminated the room, allowing me access to my surroundings.

Sania was soundly asleep. I fixed her blanket before removing my own. The warmth of my thick blanket was instantly replaced by the coldness of the room.

I slipped my feet into my slippers and just as I was about to slam my head back on the bed, I recalled my 'three-seconds' rule.

"One two three." I mumbled and forced myself to stand up. It was a simple rule to get things done.

Whenever you felt like procrastinating a task, on the count of three, force yourself to move without allowing your mind to convince you otherwise.

I pushed myself to the bathroom and after doing Wudu, my limbs gradually adjusted to the cold. Wrapping my prayer scarf around my head, I stood straight on the prayer mat to offer Fajr prayer.

In my last sajdah (prostration), I held my position and made supplications, asking for Allah's blessings and forgiveness.

Since it was the weekend and I had no university, I decided to recite a few verses from the Quran. I brought the Quran we had with Urdu translation and sat back on the prayer mat.

'Indeed, this Qur'an guides to the path which is most suitable and gives good tidings to the believers who do righteous deeds that they will have a great reward.' (17:9)

After a few minutes of reading, I put the Quran back in the cabinet and turned to a challenging task; waking Sania up.

"Sania, get up. It's morning."

Sania turned to the other side and pulled the blanket over her head. I stared at her.

Will I have to drag her out of the bed today?

"Sania..." my tone held warning and I raised my eyebrows when she poked her face out.

"Whaaat?" She whined in her sleepy voice. "Let me sleep, aapi!"

"You can sleep all you want after you pray." I pulled the blanket away from her and she sat up, rubbing her eyes.

"Why don't you ever let me sleep peacefully?" she complained with an annoyed expression tainting her adolescent face.

"You've been sleeping for almost nine hours, taking five minutes to pray will be better than sleeping forever," I asserted definitely.

"Can't there be a day off from praying?"

"No, absolutely not." Shaking my head, I took a grip of my blanket and started to fold it, aware of the sour look Sania was shooting me.