5. Waiting on a Friend

But I need someone I can cry to; I need someone to protect - Rolling Stones

9:43 a.m. Friday, September 24, 2021

After a jog through town, matching his five miles from the previous day, Harry detours to Brainwash for a cup of coffee. There are a few other customers inside, talking quietly at a table. They glance at him and then casually return to their conversations. He can't get over the fact that he's truly anonymous here. It's strange as it's not something he's experienced much in the last decade.

"How about a slice of almond cranberry bread this morning, Harry?" Lee offers.

Declining the carbs, Harry starts to ask Lee for suggestions on getting more sleep when another customer enters. Shrugging, Harry carries his coffee back to the All Booked Up. The morning is nearly gone. After a bath, he pulls on his Rolling Stones '81-'82 black world tour shirt, the exhaustion washing over him. Sleep is decidedly underrated. Even with the caffeine from the coffee pumping through his veins, he cannot seem to keep his eyes open. If only he'd slept during the night.

Downstairs in the bookstore, Harry searches for something to read, finding Let's Go (So We Can Get Back) by Jeff Tweedy in the autobiography section. Sitting down in the cozy chair by the fire, he begins to read. Within moments, Sophie saunters over, watching him cautiously. Harry knows the best way to get a cat's attention, so he ignores her as he reads about Wilco. Being queen of the bookstore, Sophie isn't too thrilled with Harry's rejection. Moving closer, she winds her way around his leg. The slight smirk on Harry's face indicates his pleasure with his little victory, but he doesn't want to give in too soon. Crossing that leg over his other one, he peruses the book, determined to win over the fluffy white monstrosity who is pacing in front of the fireplace. With a sniff, she wanders away. Harry considers it a coup. She's clearly curious about him. He knows she'll be back.

In the background, he can hear Alison talking to a customer. Or maybe it's a friend. He doesn't know. But it feels like company. Like he's not alone. Of their own accord, his eyes start to droop and the book drops onto his lap. Like in his One Direction days, Harry falls into a deep, restful sleep.

==========

9:43 a.m. Friday, September 24, 2021

Removing her apron, Michele reveals her black Rolling Stones shirt from the 1981-82 world tour.

"Ohhhh....excellent choice!" Stan raves. "You've got an amazing collection. I'm totally jealous!"

"As you should be," she preens. "I'm the queen of vintage rock and roll concert merch! I'm Nowhere anyway."

"Hell, yeah! Now give me some of those homemade crackers so I can take some cheese with them to the game tonight!" He snaps his fingers in excitement. "We're going to kick some Panther a--" he glances at the five-year-old who is drawing pictures at the table, dropping his volume, "booty."

Michele laughs at her friend. "Yes. We are. I'm going with Liz and Spencer."

"Oh! Is he closing the restaurant tonight?"

"It's the big rivalry game," the baker reminds the owner of Midtown Paper, "He wouldn't miss it. Besides, everyone will be at the game. No one to eat at The Cellar anyway."

"Oh, except the guest at the hotel," Stan shares.

"There's someone staying at the All Booked Up?" Michele is incredulous. The inn goes for months at a time without visitors, and usually it's a family member of someone in town. 

"Didn't you hear?" He turns to gossip mode, but something stops him. His face clams up tighter than, well, a clam.

"Nope. Been kind of busy," she wipes down the counters, preparing the bakery for tomorrow's early morning round of dough-making.