prologue

Prologue!

Boys Don't Cry

trigger warning:

sexual assault of a minor, pedophilia

THE WORLD ENDED FOR BOWIE LONG BEFORE 2010

His world ended when he was twelve.

It began with one of his teachers. Mr. Thompson had always been Bowie's favorite. He let Bowie read when he finished his work and even let him watch videos on his laptop sometimes. During parent-teacher conferences, Mr. Thompson always told Rick and Lori how amazing Bowie was and said he was a delight to have in class. Then his parents would embarrass him by telling Mr. Thompson how much Bowie talked about him at home.

"He's my favorite student," Mr. Thompson would say and Bowie would always shine under the praise.

It wasn't until the last quarter of seventh grade that things started to get weird.

Mr. Thompson started to ask Bowie to stay after class to help him with projects. It was innocent enough in the beginning, but Bowie soon began noticing some odd touches. Mr. Thompson would rub his lower back, pat his shoulder, ruffle his hair, and press his body against the younger.

Bowie thought it was fine. He was just a kid.

Bowie didn't tell his parents after it happened. He didn't even tell them about the second, third, or fourth time. Not until months later after another little boy came forward about Mr. Thompson. When he told his dad that the same thing happened to him, Rick decided that he would be the one to bring Mr. Thompson in. And he would never let anything happen to Bowie ever again.

That didn't last long.

Just as Bowie was starting to recover, everything went to shit again.

Bowie got his first boyfriend when he was fifteen. Jonathan was perfect. He was a football player and one of the smartest students in the school. He was so sweet and never forced Bowie to do anything he didn't want to. Rick and Lori loved him and Carl thought he was so cool.

They had even reached the "I love you" stage.

But, of course, nothing amazing ever lasts very long for Bowie.

Jonathan started getting pushy. He wanted their relationship to go to the next level, but Bowie wasn't ready. They had a long talk about it and Jonathan seemed to be cool with it. That was until the party.

Rick and Lori never really allowed Bowie to go to parties. After what happened with Mr. Thompson, his parents became quite protective. Bowie didn't mind. He would much rather hang out with Carl or relax in his bedroom.

Jonathan was throwing an after-party for prom and had personally asked Rick if Bowie could be allowed to go. Because of how trustworthy Jonathan seemed, Rick allowed it.

Prom was amazing. Jonathan was so romantic and so sweet to Bowie throughout the entire dance. Even the party was okay. Bowie wasn't much of a people person, but Jonathan made sure to stick next to him the entire time.

Bowie even drank a little bit. Though, that would end up being his downfall.

Waking up the next morning was extremely disorienting. There was a heavy weight on his chest, he had zero memory of the night before, and his body ached something terrible. It wasn't until he sat up that he noticed he wasn't wearing any clothing.

It had happened again.

Bowie wasn't as scared to tell his dad this time. Rick had already proven himself as a loving father over and over again. And, once again, Rick brought his son's attacker into the station.

The world ended for Bowie Grimes long before 2010.

author's note:

I hope this seems interesting to people. I've been working on this story for a while and am very proud of it! Updates will most likely still be slow, though. I am a college student.