Chapter 2

Another year passed, and Lily turned eight.

One afternoon, a man came into the robotics shop.

Lily had seen him around Plumgrove before and had often waved to him. He was a commanding figure in a peaked cap, tall laced boots, and a woolen, green-gray uniform. The door chimes announced his entry.

She wiped her greasy hands on a rag, pushed her goggles to her forehead and gathered her black braids aside for a better look. "May I help you, sir?"

The visitor smiled. "Hello. Is your father here?"

"He's busy, but I can fetch him for you."

Daddy labored over the workbench, a half-assembled custodian unit laid out before him. Sweat glistened upon his dark brown skin beneath the hot lights. Raw wiring and parts spilled to the floor in intricate weaves. "There, now," he said. "Got those coils and plugs all cleaned up. Looks like you're ready to go."

"So, it's true," the uniformed man said. "I've heard that you talk to robots, Mr. Fairpoole. Does it make them any easier to work with?"

"It does," Daddy said with a wry grin. "Everything deserves respect. If we appreciate our machines, and treat them kindly, I believe they'll do their jobs better."

The man laughed. "That's an unusual perspective. Nevertheless, I like your approach. I'm Lieutenant Barnhart. Might I have a word?"

"Of course." Daddy wiped his face with his sleeve. "Lily, can you put this one back together?"

"Sure." She tightened the shiny brass bolts along the robot's casing while listening to the conversation.

Lieutenant Barnhart surveyed the shop with a swift, appreciative glance. "You have a skill which is in high demand," he said, "and it can exempt you from the draft."

"The mandatory draft passed the Senate?" Alarm lit Daddy's face. "I thought it was still in debate."

"I'm afraid not. As of this morning all capable men must report to their nearest recruiter."

"I see. And how does my profession spare me from this?"

"Plumgrove is no match for the Kaezer's technology," the lieutenant said. "There's an ongoing project to expand our robotic fleet. The War approaches, and we can't become complacent."

"No, we can't." Daddy's voice was resolute. "How can I help?"

"We captured an enemy walker during a recent assault on Chelworth. I've come to invite you for a look, in hopes that you might build something similar for us."

Lily gasped and dropped her wrench with a loud thunk.

"My goodness, young lady," the lieutenant said, smiling. "You assembled that robot quickly. I see that you take after your father."

She retrieved the wrench and tucked it into her belt. "Yes, sir."

Daddy hugged her. "That's my baby girl," he said. "Do you want to see the walker, Sunshine?"

She nodded, excitement brimming.

"Me, too. Lead the way, Lieutenant."

Daddy flipped the sign and locked the door behind them.

They rode in the lieutenant's motorcar to the military headquarters, about four blocks away. It was an expansive building, one of the largest in Plumgrove. Lily had often seen the soldiers coming and going in their polished boots and pressed uniforms. They usually looked bored, lounging about their posts, waving at the locals.