Prologue

Broken People

Prologue

My heart skipped a beat as she stumbled into the room. Her usually flowing hair was stiff and stained red with blood, lots of blood. It was dripping down her face like wet paint drips down a wall; getting into her eyes and blinding her. I stood there frozen as she dropped to her knees, one hand on the floor the other trying to wipe away the blood from her face so that she could see. But the blood didn't look like it was going to stop spilling out from her head.

I still couldn't move my body. It was like my legs were filled with lead and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't lift them off the ground.

Both of her hands were now on the floor as she tried to steady herself but you could tell from the puddle that had formed around her that her body had almost completely run out of blood.

She lifted her head and saw me for the first time since she had entered the room. She tried to wipe the blood off her eyes but slipped and thumped down on the stained wooden floor.

The thud from the fall seemed to jolt me into action and I quickly ran to her side. I knelt down and my pants were instantly soaked with blood, which still felt a little warm. The thought made me choke on vomit.

I tried to pick her up. She was falling out of consciousness and I knew that if she went to sleep she might never wake up again, so I lifted her and began to scream.

"Wake up!"

"Stay with me!"

"Keep your eyes open!"

"Don't Die!"

Her mouth made the tiniest movement as though she was trying to say something but then her face relaxed and her head slumped down on my lap.

My mother was dead and I had no idea what had even happened.

I finally couldn't hold back anymore. I turned my head away and threw up all over the floor. The puke mixed with the blood made the smell so much worse.

I lifted mum up to get her away from the filth she was lying in and set her on the couch.

After that the world went dark and the next thing I knew I was lying in a clean bed, the smell was gone and so was my mother, forever.

And that was what happened to me last summer.

Bay Shayde