TWO: Green Man

Peter starts his day at dawn. His analog clock beeps him out of bed but his cats make sure to beat the alarm five minutes before. Peter gets up per request of his feline companions rather than the grating noise coming from his bedside table.

He clicks the off button on the alarm and begins his morning routine. At least today is Friday and he gets a day off tomorrow.

Peter rubs his eyes away from sleep and squeezes himself in the shower. Knowing he has a rough day ahead with the new co-driver on his route is sure to cause some mishaps, clean or messy.

As the water runs, he sees the water collecting at his feet swirl with black boxed dye. Procrastination catches up with any soul. Even the ones that didn't feel so alive. Mentally, he curses at himself, wondering if today was going to be a shit one. How the tub floor was lightly stained with the remnants of his past, he couldn't help but think of himself.

What a fucking joke.

Peter gets out and dries himself off with two towels. He doesn't like to dry his face and hair with the same one he dried his ass with but just sometimes it could be done. They were interchangeable, after all.

After he brushes his teeth, he dresses himself accordingly, slipping on some stonewashed jeans and a green button up. Peter puts on the thick and durable jacket that had the NYC Parks Enforcement badge on the chest. He wears it proudly and the sight of it makes him happy.

Peter loved his job. He loved the routine, the dirt, the grime. The harder the job, the better feeling he had after the job was complete. He found pride in helping others, the city he grew up in. To many it could be described as mundane. There were no changes. There was nothing that was super out of the ordinary. It was the same every day.

Just the way he liked it.

"Mornin' Nix.' He said with a little smile, seeing one of his cats, Nixon, sit by his bowl expectantly waiting for breakfast. Peter also loved his cats. Some were rescues, others were just taken in by others from the family. Peter loved all five of them. Grizzelda, Weena, Sexy, Tito and Nixon were his children. 

Who were also waiting for their mopey human to feed them.

Pete poured each cat their own set of food, making sure there was water before starting his day at work.

The new guy, Mike, was the chattiest person ever to exist. He'd be a bit shorter than Peter was, tall and lean. There isn't much meat on his bones and his curly long hair was a telltale sign that he was a hippie. Pete was no snitch, the guy smelled like he slept with a stench. His sympathies however would lie with the skunks more.

Mike's eyes are half lidded with pot and his smile doped as ever. He'd see Peter (surprisingly) down the hall and he wishes he could just completely dodge the guy.

''Heyyy Pete! What's goin' on man?'' He'd ask, a bit too jovial for the early hours of the morning. He was quickly glued to his side as Peter clocked in at the Parks main building.

''Back on the grind. Nothin' more, nothin' less.'' Pete said with a small chuckle. Although, Mike laughed a bit too much. It wasn't that funny.

''I totally get it man. You know, I'd say ''stick it to the man!'' but my dad squeezed me into this job, saying that he didn't want me like some hippie fucker or whatever.''

'Yeah, it may be too late for that'. Peter thought while giving a polite nod and smile.

''Ahh, well, good work pays off. Hopefully you'll be able to pay off your water bill this month.''

Peter begins walking to grab the garbage truck keys that hung by the entrance. A confused Mike follows, brow raised.

"Why's that?''