Chapter 2 - By My Side

Author's Note: This is only gonna be one more chapter, so hopefully that's not too anti-climatic ;) Any theories?

~ Tirana Sorki

Whatever's happening in the Council meeting, it's taking long enough that Ahsoka is beginning to wonder if this actually was a simple dismissal of Palpatine's request, or something more. She can't really tell from how Anakin's feeling. Mostly he just seems... uncomfortable, though she can't tell clearly through his shielding.

She still misses being around him, though, so when she has a chance, she heads for the Council chambers. Maybe she'll be able to catch him once the meeting is out.

"– is because the Chancellor trusts you," Ahsoka hears Obi-Wan saying, and she freezes in her tracks, backing up just enough stay out of sight and overhear. This is important, and no, she shouldn't be eavesdropping on important conversations, but she can't help it. This is too important to let pass.

"And?" she hears Anakin prompting, warily, cautiously. She feels the same.

"Anakin, I am on your side. I didn't want to put you in this situation."

And immediately, the unsettled feeling quadruples. What is Obi-Wan putting her master into this time?

"What situation?"

"The Council wants you to report on all the Chancellor's dealings. They want to know what he's up to."

What?! That's treason! How can they ask Anakin to do this?! It doesn't make any sense. And why would they even want him to? She barely restrains herself from instantly rounding the corner; she wants to know if there's anything else first, but she can't believe the Council would ask this of him. She remembers far too well what being on trial for treason is like.

"They want me to spy on the Chancellor?" Anakin demands, sounding a mixture of hurt, betrayed, and confusion in his voice. "But that's treason!"

"We are at war, Anakin," Obi-Wan replies, as if that somehow explains everything.

"Why didn't the Council give me this assignment when were in session?" Anakin throws back. He sounds suspicious, much the same as how Ahsoka herself feels. She doesn't trust the Council, though she'd never have expected them to do something this outrageously stupid. Anakin could get executed for this, not to mention all the laws it would be breaking.

Her regard for laws in general may have dropped, but she knows why they're important.

"This assignment is not to be on record."

Why? Because if he's found, the Council won't take the fall for it with him? Not as if Ahsoka doesn't already know that – of course, they won't, seeing as they didn't even look into the allegations against her before declaring her guilty. That alone was a large part of the case against her in the Senate as it was.

"The Chancellor is not a bad man, Obi-Wan," Anakin argues, "He befriended me. He's watched out for me ever since I arrived here."

"That is why you must help us. Anakin, our allegiance is to the Senate, not to its leader, who has managed to stay in office long after his term has expired." What? Is Obi-Wan just pretending that there wasn't a war, and that elections would be too difficult to hold? Not that Ahsoka is much of a fan of him, but that doesn't make sense.

"The Senate demanded he stay longer," Anakin points out tightly.

"Yes, but use your feelings, Anakin. Something is out of place," Obi-Wan insists.

"You're asking me to do something against the Jedi Code," he replies bitterly, "Against the Republic. Against a mentor, and a friend. That's what's out of place here. Why are you asking this of me?"