10

Pissed off was not an expression for how Charlie felt when she thought about what Deckard had destroyed. Several million in seconds. In seconds.

There weren't many options, so Charlie was confident she'd find Deckard here. Remote; not too big, not too small, and most importantly, unused for years.

So if Deckard couldn't be found here, Charlie didn't know where else. This was where he had started. Where else could he go?

It was Deckard's fault that everything was destroyed. That car would never have gone through two buildings, flown... whatever, if he hadn't started a shooting. Breathe; just breathe, Charlie kept telling himself. Done is done, over, can't be helped.

Trying to stay calm, which was more than exhausting, Charlie gripped the steering wheel and drove through the halls. But for once in your life, you should be lucky. Today, yes. Deckard was just putting some things in his jacket pocket when she drove through the gate and stopped.

"Thank you. Thank you so much. Great job," Charlie slammed the door of her car loudly and began to applaud, "Total destruction. There were only shards left, because thanks to you, a car came from the building next door and destroyed everything."

"Are you done?" without answering what Charlie wanted him to do, Deckard continued to pack his things, "I want to finish this thing."

"No, I'm not!" Charlie snapped at the short-haired man and her mood didn't improve thanks to his disinterest, which caused him to push him away from the table, "How much more are you going to ruin for me?"

"Me to you?" Deckard retorted, grabbing Charlie by the shoulders to get her to stop shoving him, "You wanted to know what happened, and I made sure you did. But I also told you that I would take care of these people. It's not my fault that you keep getting in my way. Like now, for example."

Without warning, Deckard lifted Charlie onto the table by her thighs and looked down briefly before placing his hands on her cheek and kissing her. This guy was a loose cannon. A ticking time bomb, wound to the hilt, ready to go off at any moment. Unlike his brother Owen. There was something about Deckard she liked, despite his deep-seated problems, so she tangled her fingers in his neck and nodded, looking up at the concrete ceiling.

"Okay..." Charlie began, not knowing what to say, "I don't know where this is going, especially after last time. Um, but... is that it, or is there more to come?"

"What do you want me to say?", Deckard wanted to know, brushing Charlie's hair back and putting his hand on her neck, "It'll all be over in the morning, until then, don't get yourself killed. After that, we'll see."

"Will it ever be over?", certainly not, so Charlie took his hands off Deckard's neck and looked at him, "If all goes well, you'll talk to Owen first and then, we'll see. You can't just throw away an engagement ring and you two are brothers."

Charlie didn't get more than a perfunctory "I will" from Deckard as he was informed that all parties had left. That was it.

Without much thought, Charlie ran to his own car to follow Deckard. Whatever he was up to, if he wanted to end it now, then all was well with him.

It hadn't been two minutes that Deckard had had a lead, but it had been enough to lose sight of him. More likely to get rid of Charlie. Either Owen's brother had known or sensed that she wouldn't just sit here quietly and would follow him instead. The city was too big. There were too many, dozens of possibilities.

Was Deckard still the hunter or had he become the hunted?

Charlie began to drive aimlessly through the city, but nowhere was there any indication that Charlie or O'Connor or his friends were anywhere. The only thing that struck her as unusual was a helicopter circling overhead. It couldn't be the police, they looked different. She followed it to a parking garage, which it circled. Something had to be up there, or a helicopter would not stay there.

But before Charlie could get to one of the rooftops next door, the helicopter fired a missile at the parking garage. It didn't take long for the garage to collapse. That's when the stomach ache came, and she had no idea why.

Charlie woke up the next morning on the table in the warehouse, but there was only one car there. Her car. No sign of Deckard anywhere. Even before the police, and presumably Hobbs, had arrived at the garage, she had made a hasty getaway, as unnoticed as possible. In vain, she had driven through the city for the rest of the night, not returning until the first rays of sunlight were visible. Actually, she had hoped to find him somewhere in the city or, at best, that he was already in the warehouse. Or at least that he would show up soon. Nothing. Something must have gone terribly wrong.

Parts of the city were in ruins and Deckard was in jail. It was over. Just as he had predicted. Whether everything would really be okay again was questionable.