00

"Oh no. That's enough, Owen," Charlie fought back, now quite distraught, raising her hands as Owen came closer, "Do you even know how many have died? Not to mention injured? I'm out. Sorry."

"Charlie, you can't back out," surprised at what his longtime friend had just let slip, Owen still tried to save the day, but inside he already knew that nothing would change Charlie's mind, no matter what else came out of him, "You're committed. No one, I don't know anyone who can do your part."

"There's plenty," Charlie began to smile, but they both knew it was a lie and yet nothing would change her decision, "Just be careful, okay?"

It had not been easy, after all their years together, to make this decision. But it had been necessary. Urgent. For both of their sakes. Maybe things would change.

To say goodbye, Charlie took Owen in her arms, kissed him on the cheek and tried to smile, which she did not do very well.

But that this would be the last time Charlie would see her friend alive, no one could have guessed, not even Charlie.

In the meantime, Owen and Charlie had known each other for about six years. What had been between them could be described as complicated. It had never come to a relationship. He was always there and she had never thought about anything more. Yes, she had loved him, but probably not enough for more.