two ཾ down the barrel of a gun

TWO
DOWN THR BARREL OF A GUN

     "HERE'S WHAT I DON'T GET," Jesper began as the four crows sat around a table of the club

"HERE'S WHAT I DON'T GET," Jesper began as the four crows sat around a table of the club. It had been a long night of hunting down leads that ultimately gave the crows nothing. There hadn't been a single chirp of a pigeon that had anything to be used to get across the Fold.

"We're going to be here all night," Inej commented, sarcastically with a smirk itching at her features.

"Rude," Jesper snickered before he took his feet off the table to lean forward. "Why haven't they tried going under it? Just dig a tunnel."

"They tried that. More than a century ago," Kaz added, his grip on the crow of his cane had become tighter out of frustration. "Something. . . heard them digging."

"It was made hundreds of years ago by that crazy Grisha-" Jesper began, but was cut off by Inej's voice.

"The Black Heretic," she corrected with a brow raised to Jesper. Inej held her religion close to her, and even though Kaz had often disciplined Inej on her beliefs and often expressed his doubts, Verena respected Inej and her religion. After all, what was a club without respect that was not earned my fear?

"The one who controls shadow. They've got one in their army now. General Kirigan?" Jasper continued.

"What's you're point, Jesper?" Verena grumbled out as her eyelids began to feel heavy with exhaustion.

Jesper pursed his lips together in thought. "If one of his kind makes it, can't he unmake it?"

"Have you ever put out a fire by adding more fire?" Inej questioned as Verena shook her head at Jesper's thinking.

"Then what's the opposite?" Jesper bantered.

"A Sun Summoner," Inej relied and Verena could already hear Kaz's belittling words.

"Doesn't exist," Kaz replied, a scowl forming on his face as Inej babbled about her religion's fantasy.

"Kaz," Verena warned sharply. From the other side of the table, Kaz looked toward Verena. Her eyes were narrowed as she arched a brow toward him. "Watch yourself," the other two crows watched as Verena and Kaz held strong eye contact, wondering what Verena had said. It had been a reoccurrence that Verena and Kaz had said unknown words to one another. It had been a part of the language the two had made when they were only kids, seven or eight. The two made it to keep secrets from Jordie and trick their
parents.

Inej placed a hand over Verena's and gave it a small squeeze of gratitude. "Doesn't exist yet."

"Dreesen comes into town, doesn't waste a minute, sends out a crew to steal something but doesn't specify what," Kaz stopped to ponder and Verena gnawed on her lower lip in concentration. "Is it heavy, large, worth more than a million on the black market? Maybe he doesn't know."