Chapter 6

Natalia: ¡Hola! Are you free to meet soon? I could show you around the city if no one has yet. Xx

Julián stared at the message, not knowing what to do. Seeing Natalia again had caused mixed feelings for him. He had missed her for the last 10 years and it had only gotten worse since they stopped talking. He hoped they could meet again, especially since he was likely to end up playing in Europe but he also knew he had to move on. He couldn't be stuck on the first love that never was. Too much time had passed ever since they separated.

But he wanted to meet her. Of course he did. He wanted to spend time with her and see how much she had changed. If she was still the Natalia he loved. And it was then that the mixed feelings showed up again because he both wanted her to be and didn't want her to. Seeing she had a boyfriend, he probably should hope for her to be different and disappoint him. It would make life easier.

"What are you doing?", asked him Rodri, one of the teammates he had been spending more time with since he also spoke Spanish.

"Trying to decide what to do".

"About?"

"Meeting a friend".

"A friend?", laughed Rodri. "The way you look at the phone makes me think it's more than that".

"It's a long story", he sighed.

"If you ever want to tell me it, I'll be happy to listen to you and try to help".

"Thanks".

He was thankful for the offer, but couldn't take it right now. He needed to do this on his own.

Julián: sure! Maybe we could meet tomorrow? Have something to eat too? Xx

He didn't have time to finish getting all of his things ready to leave when he got a notification with Natalia's answer.

Natalia: Perfect!! Let's meet tomorrow. Xx

**

"So have you found any hidden places in Manchester already?"

"A few", said Natalia. "I'll show you my favourites slowly. You aren't leaving in a month this time".

Even though she laughed, and he joined her, it sounded fake.

"It's really cool you are doing the career you always wanted to do, by the way".

"I know. I'm really happy", she said with a half smile.

"But?"

"It meant a lot of problems with my family, as you can imagine".

"I'm sorry, Nati".

How long had it been since someone called her that? She used to hate the nickname since it was what Javier called her all the time. But Julián made it his mission to change the bad memories for it with good ones.

Still, no one called her that except for him. And it was surprising for both of them how natural it felt to go back to that. Spending time together, calling each other nicknames...that got a real smile from her. And there was nothing else he liked seeing more than her smile.

But she has a boyfriend....yes, she did. And he had to remind himself often.

They kept walking around the city, talking about their lives. About everything they had missed in the last couple of years.

"Do you sing? Or just teach kids?"

"Both. But mostly teach", she told him. One of her biggest dreams had always been to perform her singing live. Even to a small audience. It was fine. She didn't need huge crowds. Just the opportunity to share her art with others. "I actually have an event soon where I'll sing. Maybe...maybe you can come?"