1| Take A Break

Glory had never shown her true feelings to many dragons before.

She'd always keep her scales under control because she hated it when dragons could read her like an open book. She hated being vulnerable. She didn't want other dragons to stereotype her just for being a RainWing, too. She wanted to be hard to get a read on, and she most definitely didn't appreciate being touched.

"Your Majesty," Deathbringer said, landing awfully close to Glory on the platform she was standing on, gazing at the working RainWings below. "There was word two NightWings were fighting in the NightWing village. I thought to inform you instead of handling it myself, as you instructed me."

Even though Deathbringer was on orders to murder Glory and potentially her friends just a few years ago, he had proven himself trustworthy multiple times. Unlike most dragons, Deathbringer always paid attention to Glory's body language and key details, making it easy for him to guess her feelings. That was part of the reason Glory liked him so much. He always understood her when no one could. They understood each other.

Glory nodded as she turned to him. "Surprised you actually listened to me," she said skeptically.

"Me, too," Deathbringer said with a smug grin. "Part of the reason why I did was because I wanted to see you."

"You see me all the time," Glory said with an eye roll. "You're my bodyguard. And you are also under strict orders to stay at the palace."

"How am I supposed to guard you from across the rainforest?" Deathbringer asked, keeping that stupid grin on his face. His dark eyes never left Glory's as she narrowed her eyes.

"You do realize you're not my only bodyguard, right?" she pointed out before diving off of the platform, circling the rainforest for a moment. She started flying off in the direction of the NightWing village, keeping her eyes pinned down on the trees. Sure enough, she saw two NightWings scowling, lashing out at each other.

Glory swiftly landed in between them, sending them skeptical looks. They both immediately bowed their heads in respect. Deathbringer landed beside her.

"What's the problem here?" Glory asked, raising her eyebrows expectantly.

The one to her right spoke first. "She keeps on building on my property, leaving less space for me!"

"The forest isn't 'your property'!" the one to Glory's left argued. "She's being greedy! The forest is for all of us, not just her!"

"What are your names?" Glory asked as Deathbringer snorted.

"Destineyseeker," the one to her right said.

"Brilliance," the one to Glory's left said.

"I'll handle this," Glory said to Brilliance before turning to Destineyseeker. "Walk with me."

"*"

Glory sighed, sitting on her throne as she opened a scroll, studying the newly-discover terrain as she thought where to put the new hatchery. She tiredly stared down at it, not wanting to do anything but rest.

Being queen was super stressful.

"Your Majesty," Deathbringer greeted, entering the throne room with a small bow before putting on a teasing grin. "Access to state my case?"

"What do you want, Deathbringer?" Glory asked with an eye roll as she placed the scroll down.

"I want a lot of things, Your Majesty," Deathbringer said, leaving that smug expression on his face. They had been dating for a few months now, but Glory pretended to ignore that fact. It gave Deathbringer horrifying opportunities. "But first, I want you to take a break and spend some time with me."

"Queens don't take 'breaks'." Glory picked up the scroll again as she dipped her claw in ink and marked a place where she might put the hatchery.

"Oh, come on!" Deathbringer insisted. "We're dating now, right? So yeah, you have to. You know you want to."

Glory sighed. "I have to finish this. You know that."

"Fine, then I'll help you," Deathbringer said with a cheeky grin as he bounded over to her. "Still figuring out where to put the hatchery, I see. Hm." He pointed to a spot that was surrounded by trees. "Wouldn't that be a smart place to put it? Hidden from attackers but also beautifully decorated by the light illuminated by the leaves."

Glory thought about it before realizing he was right and marking the area.

"See?" Deathbringer asked. "All done. Now, come on." He then proceeded to drag Glory off of her throne and outside into the warm weather.

"Fine," Glory muttered in annoyance, although she secretly liked it. She obviously couldn't let him know that, though. "It's not like I have a choice, anyway. Where do you suggest we go?"

Deathbringer sent her a small but genuine smile. "I guess you shall see, Your Majesty."

"Oh, stop calling me 'Your Majesty' already!" Glory cried as Deathbringer flared open his wings to take off.

"What do you suggest I call you instead, My Queen?"

"Just 'Glory'," she said with an eye roll. "Plain, old, Glory."

Deathbringer sent her a crooked smile. "Whatever you want, Glory." He then took off and Glory waited a few seconds to get her scales under control before following suit.

He led them to a desolate part of the forest, which had few trees and a huge waterfall that came out of a large mountain. The water clashed beautifully with the setting sun and Glory couldn't help but admire it for a moment.

"I knew you'd like it," Deathbringer said as his gaze was fixed on her. "It's beautiful, like you."

Glory fought against the pink creeping onto her scales, but Deathbringer obviously noticed them and proceeded to walk over and brush his wing against hers.

"I really appreciate this, Deathbringer, but I still have so much to do—" She was cut off by Deathbringer.

"Take a break, Glory," Deathbringer said as he stood dangerously close to her. "Surely being queen must be tiring, especially of two tribes, so let me distract you. I'll help you make up all the work tomorrow, but don't worry about that right now."

Glory often wondered what life would be like if she wasn't queen. Would Deathbringer and her have worked out? Would things be different for the better or for the worse?

He had been right about one thing: being a queen of two tribes was tiring.

"Just this once," Glory replied, finally caving in. "But I can't miss another night of work. My role is very important."

"I know," Deathbringer said, his smile widening at her acceptance. "But right now, nothing is more important than this." He hesitantly reached forward and grasped her talon, knowing her dislike for being touched. This time, she didn't bristle away or do anything that hinted at him to go away. Instead, she did the complete opposite.

She reached over and wrapped her tail around his.

His smile grew at this and Glory had to look away as she struggled to fight with her own scales.

"You don't need to cover up, Glory," Deathbringer whispered as he squeezed her talons reassuringly. "At least, not around me."

He searched her face as Glory finally stopped struggling and holding back. Swirls of pink and yellow burst onto her scales, stronger in the areas where Deathbringer touched her.

Jesus, Deathbringer was really taking a toll on her for the worse.

Instead of teasing her about the way her scales were out of control for Deathbringer, he simply led her to the end of the lake and sat down with her.

Even though knew all they were going to do was talk, she still wouldn't trade that for the rest of Pyrriah.