Chapter 5

"By the way, don't forget to wash the dishes because it's your turn."

I peer at my sister over my phone from the couch. "huh?"

"mom said you have to wash them."

"I literally just got home, and it's 1 pm. You guys haven't washed them?"

My sister raises her shoulders. "it's your turn."

"you guys can't be serious! Really? You were waiting for me?"

My mother yells at me from the other room. "Stop being a spoiled brat. All you do is sleep and use your computer when you're here. It's time you start acting like a member of this house and participate in chores."

"Since when do chores wait for you after you've gone out!" I shake my head. "this is ridiculous."

My mother comes stands in the entryway, hand on her hips. "you're shameless, huh? Stop yelling, and get to the kitchen. Don't think you're so above us. Now that you're in this house again, I rule, and you listen. You'd never have done this before you left. I need to teach you manners again."

She is right. My three years old past self would have done it without discussion. But not because I felt different, but because I wanted to avoid problems. And when I do what I want to do, I'm not accepted. Even in my own family.

I certainly cannot be accepted as who I am by others, then.

I take off my clothes, keeping my tears at bay and wash those dishes.

As I do so, my thoughts wander to Rafiq. I must get that book, but I also must... maybe try a restaurant together. When Rafiq first talked to me the weekend after our "fake" divorce, he said he wanted the old me back.

That's something the old me would do. let's try food he loves alone. I'm okay with eating what he likes. You can't just expect someone to be okay with who you are. You must make effort to get to know them, and sometimes sacrifice for the greater peace.

And peace in the household is love. That's what I learned from growing up in my peaceless house. 

--

these chapters are short, but I promise it's for a reason. these events are important to understand where Ihsan is coming from, and why she acts this way.

also, did you guys know Peaceless is a valid english word?? i doubt that, but sure 👀

are you excited to see Rafiq reappear again? XX i kinda miss the drama... yk... just a lil'