Chapter 4

Surprise update! hope you enjoy :) take a moment here to tag someone who'd love the story!

***

On the intercity bus back home, the dreaded event happens: his mother calls.

While she loved me before, I don't know how she feels about me now that I, in theory, divorced her son by signing those papers first. While I was just resting my eyes away from Rafiq, I decided to pretend I am sleeping to avoid speaking with her.

He answers the call. "Assalamu alaykum Umma," he says, "what are you guys up to?"

"Not much, how's your impromptu vacation?" she says in an old drawl.

He takes a moment to answer. "Good."

"she's with you, isn't she? That's why you left."

She doesn't sound accusatory, more shocked that he's kept it a secret.

He doesn't even check me. "she's sleeping."

"Son, what are you trying to do? I don't understand you."

"Just trust me, please. It's alright to go through rough patches as a couple. We're figuring things out."

There's a beat of silence. "I worry about you."

I feel him nod. "I know, and I appreciate it."

"She's done a lot of hurtful things. Maybe it is time to let her go."

Rafiq doesn't answer, unmoving to my left. The silence stretches before she speaks again.

"Well," she says with a sigh, "bring her around then, instead of strutting the streets with her."

Rafiq suddenly sits up. "Yes, she was actually talking about coming with me, and cooking all this food. But I'm bothered."

"she doesn't know you don't enjoy her food as much, right?"

He nods. "it's the fact that she never enjoys what she makes because she doesn't like it. she's the last person to think of herself."

She raises her voice. "Maybe she should give up on cooking! Has she apologized for what happened between you two?"

I know the answer to that, no. But he never let me know directly or indirectly that he was hurt from my actions. Or had he? And give up cooking because it's bad? How come he always tells me it's always good.

Lying to my face, Rafiq. He knows that what I hate most is lying. It's what fractured my parents' marriage too. And it's a deal-breaker in my friendships. And marriage is arguably the longest friendship of all time.

During my parent's rough patch, I started baking and cooking more. And although we'd all feel horrible, when we'd sit down to eat, warm delicious food always made us feel a bit chirpier.

My eyelids feel heavy, at this point. I don't hear the end of their conversation because I end up truly falling asleep. I wake up about thirty minutes to the airport at dawn, and do my fajr prayer. Rafiq is still asleep.

For the first time, I am genuinely happy he isn't awake to give me attention. Cooking is my love language. After having slept, I realize that I am still hurt by the way my mother-in-law said about me. She may be right. Maybe I should give up cooking. Lately, he's been having less than enthusiastic reactions to the food I cook or buy.

How about reading that book? Maybe he'll finally realize how nice it'll be to be able to discuss it with me, his wife, and finally be a decent human.

***

Well sisters, do we hate the mother in law yet or not? God, mother in laws should really really REALLY mind their business. Try to tell me a story where they got involved, and things got better. exactly, none!

anyways, hope you loved this chapter!