|33| • Amelia

I know he said I shouldn't bring anything for the picnic but how could I not? I wasn't going to let him do all the work! As charming as he was, I'd feel like such a slob just sitting pretty while he arranged the delicacies he cooked. Were they going to be delicacies? I wasn't sure if Evie could cook so well, the last thing he came close to was the confetti cake we made together. Well, I did most of the instructions, he was the muscle man.

Focus on the mission!

It was about four hours to the picnic and an idea popped into my head. I wanted to bring muffins and other things I thought he'd like. It took a while to look for a shop that sold what I needed, the usual bakery I went to were all overly sweet for his taste, so I asked Abel and he told me of a coffee shop where they sold pastries as well.

Would he like me to do this? Gee, I hoped so, I was sweating buckets racing to the coffee shop. Abel offered to take me but I knew he'd be seeing Ramona soon and didn't want to be a bother. Spotting the lovely outside garden and patio, I knew this was the place Abel described. The sign on top of the small shop read 'Coffee-Treats'

The shop had an exterior of mostly brown bricks which were oddly aesthetically pleasing, the roof was a smart roof with a small rooftop. They were a few people outside, serving clients on the patio when I walked past. Taking a deep breath, I pushed open the glass door, cool air brushing my skin and the strong scent of coffee thick in the air.

Seeing as it was still morning, the crowd was at the minimum, if I could have a quick guess I'd say they were just opening not too long ago. Good. I didn't have to feel awkward waltzing in here while thinking of what to get Evie for our picnic date. Well...it was a date, right? I mean, I hope it was.

"Alright, first things first. Cake!" I whispered to myself, giggling when I realised how loud it was. What cake did Evie like? I knew he wasn't a sweet mouth because the last time when we made the confetti cake he ruled it too sweet. To be honest? It wasn't even sweet enough for me, but I wasn't going to tell him that and look like a child gulping down sugary treats. Hehe.

Searching for a cake which wouldn't overload his tastebuds, I settled on a coffee cake with coffee shreds on it. Pointing over to the cake, I smiled victoriously.

"I ordered that already." A voice snapped when I was about to order, my body flinched at the sharp tone. Hesitantly, I glanced to the side, seeing who owned the voice. It was a woman, she was a bit higher off the ground than me and had dark skin as well. My shoulders relaxed when I noticed this. Even though I grew up here, I didn't see people of my skin colour other than in the neighbourhood and just a bit outside, it made me feel rather self-conscious.

"Hi! I...I'm sure they have some more."

She smirked.

"I ordered all of it."

"What?!" How could she order all of it? Was she going to gulp it all down? Standing my ground, I crossed my hands against my chest while knitting my eyebrows. "You can't!" The lady chuckled, tilting her head. Those subtle movements reminded me of Evie.

"I can't?"

"Please! I need just one, could you spare one? It's for me and my boy- I mean, my best friend! We're having a picnic and-" Did I just call Everest my best friend? I felt a tad bit guilty towards Darrick, he'd been with me longer, shaking my head, I focused on the woman who hadn't stopped smirking. Her expression taunted me.

"You and your boyfriend slash best friend?" The girl mocked, covering her lips as she snickered. "Gee, you're easily flustered, you know. I was just kidding, I only ordered five." She waved, walking over to the counter. I don't know why, but I followed her. "Do you know how many are left?"