|04| • Amelia

Papa said no one was going to be interested in me because of how I behaved, I wasn't sure what he meant when referring to behaviour. But, I guess he was wrong. I think. I had heard Salem talk about how he couldn't stop staring at his girlfriend when he first met her, I think Everest had not looked away from me since he sat down.

It made me nervous.

But the way he stared at me also made me feel pretty.

Did he use endearments often? I liked it when he called me sweetheart, my insides bubbled with joy. Everest looked like the opposite of the boys I was used to. He seemed more rugged. His biceps were large and sculpted, his chin was ruffled with his beard. The last thing I'd have associated with him was being gentle, then again, I wasn't meant to judge him.

The way he'd acted towards me was contradicting what I thought him to be. He spoke to me in such a subtle manner, teasing me with his words and eyes. Was he aware of how handsome he was? Maybe that's why he tilted his lips that way.

Darrick and he stood head to head, well, head to the neck was more appropriate yet Darrick didn't seem intimidated. Boy, I know I'd be terrified if I was in his shoes. Not that Everest scared me or anything. Curious, I watched as Everest calmly rose his eyebrows and Darrick scowled.

"Are you losing your hearing old man?" I gasped at his rude words. That was uncalled for! "Darrick!" Before I could rethink my actions, I was in front of Everest, arms out as if I could defend him from anything.

"Don't say that." His glare trailed from Everest to me, his eyes holding confusion. From behind me, I heard a chuckle. "Are you protecting me, sweetie?" My chest jumped at the name, a blush rising to my cheeks. No! It's just a nickname. Embarrassed, I quickly fold my hands.

"I...uh...I mean I know you can handle yourself." Gosh, I was a babbling mess. Of course, I knew he could protect himself, but I was more familiar with Darrick. Clearing my throat, I fold my arms, puffing out my chest. Darrick's glare softened when his eyes met mine, his eyebrow raising in question. I pout, shaking my head. "That was rude." I completed, not taking my eyes off my best friend. Usually, Darrick wasn't so intense, he was gentle and caring, and perhaps his protective nature made him this way.

"It's alright." Everest's palms were warm and large. He cupped my shoulders, gently nudging me to the side. Hesitantly, I let them face each other as they did before. "So?" Darrick snorted, folding his arms.

"I'm Everest. I met her a few days ago."

Darrick darted his eyes at me, "You didn't tell me that." This made me blush, hoping Everest didn't see me as forgetful. While playing with my hands, I feel both of their attention on me, this makes my tummy turn. I didn't like all the attention, especially when they towered to me that way. Gosh, did I look weird? As seconds passed, I went from fiddling with my hand to the hem of my dress. A scoff came from Everest, causing me to look up, worried.

"Does she need to?" He asked.

Darrick sighed, beckoning me with his index finger. Although I wanted to talk some more with Everest, I scurried over to my best friend's side. In a swift motion, his hand went limp on my shoulder, pulling me closer. "Darrick!" My cheeks heated up, why did he suddenly do that? He didn't answer me, he just kept staring at Everest, who I just noticed had a slight frown on his lips.

Oh no, was he angry? Just when I thought I'd made a new friend. It took all in me to remain grounded and not go to his side to give him a hug."Look man, I don't want to sound rude or anything. But you don't look a day under thirty, and she just turned twenty." I gaped at his words. Why did he reveal my age to him?! Were his long stares going to shorten now that he knew I just entered my twenties? Gosh! What was up with Darrick today?!

Everest tilted his head, his eyebrows creasing a bit.

"Amelia, are you uncomfortable with me here?" The question shocked me, and quickly, I shook my head. "N-no, I'm not!" Realizing I might have sounded too eager, I breathe out nervously. "It's alright, you aren't making me feel uncomfortable in the slightest." In fact, I feel pretty when you stare at me like you were doing before. Those words would remain in my head.

Everest then gazed up at Darrick, as if asking if he heard what I said.

Darrick wasn't having it, his grip remained as it was, glares still on the man.

"Thanks, sweetheart, but I'll leave you to it, see you later Amelia."

My chest whined as he turned his heel to go. Where was I going to see him again? It was unlikely! I only came here because papa wasn't around today, he was going to be home for a few weeks so I wouldn't be able to come here again. I didn't even have a way to contact him. Holding my breath, I contemplated on what to do, but as always my indecisiveness got the best of me and I watched him walk out the door.

Huffing, my shoulders deflated.

"What a creep, sweetheart! Psh." I heard the soft murmurs that came from Darrick, only realizing we were still close. In frustration, I headbutt his chest, making him stumble. "Ow!" I felt bad that I may have hurt him, but my anger wouldn't let me apologize.

"Darrick! Why'd you chase him away?!"

"What--I didn't chase anyone. He left of his own free will."

I grimaced, knowing fully well that he glared until Everest felt the need to leave. "What if I don't see him again?" "So?" My cheeks puffed up in a huff, how do I explain this without telling him I was curious about a man like that? Narrowing my eyes, I bite my lip subconsciously. "No." Darrick deadpanned, making me look up.

"No what?"

"Don't tell me you like that man, he's over a decade older than you!" I blushed, covering my face at his accusation. That verb was far too strong, it was just a teeny-weeny crush. He was handsome! And sweet, how could I not? Shaking my head, I deny his words. I knew he was older than me, but I guess that was another reason for my curiosity. How did men his age think?

"Amelia," Darrick called out flatly, clearly not entertained.

"Yeah...?"

"No, trust me."

"But---"

His glare held no room for questions. Sighing in an exaggerated manner, I slump back into my sit, staring at the chocolate cake. I was about to tell him why I wasn't in a good mood today, would that be oversharing? Surely he wouldn't care for me and Papa's rocky relationship. Pushing out my bottom lips, I pick at the pastry, wondering if I'd ever see that man again.

"Amelia?" Huffing, I cross my arms. "I heard you already, no." As the words rushed out of my mouth, I realized it wasn't Darrick's voice, it was far deeper, more gruff and unsure. Gasping, I get up, seeing a panting Everest. He came back! But why?

"May I please have your number?"