Chapter 18 - Part 1

A week went by without a word from Aiden. I had kind of resigned myself to the fact that we were over. It was difficult to pick myself up and carry on. The disappointment and headache made it harder to get through each day.

Every time he crept into my thoughts the rawness in my chest ached, it was not just an emotional pain. It was so deep, I felt it on a physical level.

And as much as I wanted to, I couldn't stay in bed with the covers over my head and ignoring everything else other than my personal pain. Life didn't stop, so I plastered a smile on when I had to pretending everything was fine when it wasn't.

Sleep didn't come easy and everyday was tougher than the last. Luckily, Lacey hadn't wanted to go out this weekend so at least I didn't have to spend a night or two watching over her, making sure she didn't make a mistake she couldn't come back from.

And I managed to get on top of my course work. I was finally feeling like I was keeping my head above water.

But then I got a call from my father.

"What's up?" I asked, very aware that he didn't usually call me during college.

"It's your mom, she fainted and bumped her head."

I stopped. The panic set in.

"Is she okay?" I was already heading straight for the parking lot.

"The doctor is checking her out," he answered.

"Where are you?" I asked, trying to fight my way through the debilitating panic.

"We are in the emergency room. She has bumped her head pretty hard. She might have a concussion."

I could hear the echo of my blood pumping through my veins as I fished my keys from my bag and tried to open the car door.

My mind already trying to figure out the quickest way to the hospital.

"Princess."

The mention of my nickname made me stop.

"I need you to go home and pack a bag for your mom. She will need to stay in the hospital overnight."

I nodded, releasing the breath I held.

"She'll be okay," he assured me.

"Just message me everything you think she will need and I'll be there as soon as I can."

"I will. Drive safely."

When the call ended I took a shaky breath trying to get myself together so I could do what I needed to.

Just the mention of the word hospital brought back memories of the stress of worrying about Lacey and what had driven me straight into Aiden's arms.

I took a moment to take a long breath and release in a controlled count to four. I had to calm myself down before I got behind the wheel.

By the time I got home I was a bundle of nerves. My father sent me a message wish everything mom needed.

I hurried into the house and climbed the stairs two at a time throwing my bag into my room as I passed it on the way to my parent's room.

My mind was scattered as I rushed around the room grabbing things on the list my father had message me.

When I was sure I had everything I raced downstairs only to stop as I got to the bottom of the stairs. Aiden was standing in the open door way.

Had I left the front door open? I tightened my hold on the duffel bag I held as my eyes met Aiden's.

"The front door was wide open." His wore a white shirt and jeans. His expression unreadable.