Chapter 17 - Part 1

I was emotionally and physically exhausted when Max dropped me off at home. He promised to collect me in the morning to take me to pick up my car.

"It's dark and late. I don't want you driving now, it's not safe," he argued when I expected him to take me back to the party.

It was nice for someone to take control so I didn't have to worry. Or maybe it was the fact that someone was worrying about me and not the other way around. I was the one usually worrying about Lacey, it was nice to have someone concerned about me.

I went straight to bed. My eyes were closed before I could even pull my covers over myself.

It was bright when I woke up. I had a headache which had nothing to do with alcohol and more to do with stress. I lay in my bed and thought back to the night before. It was difficult not to look at Max differently when he had stepped in without lecturing to help me when I hadn't been able to get hold of Aiden.

There was no way I had ever imagined this happening, it was strange how things had worked up.

I saw a message from Aiden but I didn't have the energy to deal with him when I still had to go and fetch my car.

I check the time, it was nearly ten. Max had sent me a message to say he would be around in half an hour to fetch me so I got up and showered. I changed and brushed my teeth then I pulled a brush through my hair.

It was the sound of car pulling up in front of my house than had me hurting down the stairs so Max didn't have to wait for me.

It was only when I opened the door did I the sight of Aiden getting out of his car stopped me in my tracks.

Oh no. This couldn't be happening. I checked the time. It was nearly ten and Max would be showing up any minute.

I didn't need anymore drama than I had already experience the night before trying to get Lacey home.

His eyes met mine as he walked to me. I held my breath. He was breathtaking. His broad shoulders rolled slightly like he was preparing for a confrontation. The sight of him still It was difficult to tell what was going on his head as he approached me.

"You're not talking to me?" he asked, softly.

His expression and tone made me feel bad. But he hadn't answered my calls.

"I called you last night." I put my hands on my hips but made a point of changing my stance to ensure this conversation went quickly Aiden would be gone by the time Max showed up.

I'd had enough drama last night, I didn't need anymore.

Even though it was innocent, even I knew there would be an issue if they showed up at the same time. It was something I would rather avoid at all costs.

He shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "I was angry when you wouldn't take my calls." He shrugged.

I don't know how we had got to this. We had been so good and in sync before. I couldn't figure out what was going wrong but I knew I had to get rid of him before Max arrived.

"I'm on my way out," I said, rocking on the balls of my feet, feeling more agitated with each passing moment. "Can I come over a little later and we can talk?"

He nodded solemnly.

It was awkward. I wanted to kiss his cheek and hug him goodbye but I didn't.

He turned and was about to head back to his car when Max pulled up behind his car.

I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me whole. This could not be happening. I just needed one thing to go right, just one thing.

Aiden stopped and tension filled his stance as Max got out of his car but remained standing beside it.