Supernatural: Demons, Drive-ins, and Dives

Story Description: Dean becomes a fan of the Food Network series Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. He and Sam get involved when a haunted restaurant is featured on the show. Passes the Bechdel test. May cause cravings for pie.

Demons, Drive-ins, and Dives

Dean Winchester tore off a piece of warm bread and dipped it in the last bit of sauce that had accompanied his dish. "I can't believe I've never had naan before," he said before he bit into it.

His brother chuckled.

"What?" Dean asked.

"I can believe it. Until recently the only things you would eat were burgers, pizza, tacos, and pie. I'm surprised you picked this place." Sam glanced around the crowded restaurant. "And I wouldn't have expected authentic Indian food in such a small town."

"It's good, right?" Dean gestured toward Sam's empty plate. It had been a tofu dish, but actually looked tempting. Maybe eating tofu wouldn't be worse than starvation.

"Beyond good. But when did you become a foodie?"

Dean shrugged.

"C'mon. In the last two weeks you've taken us to Thai, Greek, and Cuban places. And now Indian. I'm starting to think you're picking jobs based on proximity to these restaurants. Did you pick up a guide to food hotspots?"

"Remember a few weeks ago when our motel didn't have any adult channels? When I was channel surfing I found the Food Network. If I can't have real porn, food porn is the next best thing. My favorite is Diners, Drive-ins and Dives," Dean said.

Their waiter dropped off their check. His name tag said his name was Nitin. "Yes! We were featured in an episode of Triple-D last year, and ever since business has been booming."

"Triple-D?" Sam repeated.

Nitin nodded. "It's a television show about humble restaurants with excellent food."

Dean pushed away his empty plate and leaned back in the booth. "And the host drives a classic car. It reminds me of Baby."

years earlier...

"I'll let you take a look around," said the real estate agent, and she walked back outside.

"She's scared of the ghost," Avalon Nakamura said.

Veronica Vasquez shook her head. "The house isn't haunted."

Avalon bit her lip, unconvinced that this was the right place for them.

"Just look at this fireplace." Veronica gestured toward the brick hearth in the middle of the open-concept space. "We can expand it, and turn it into a wood-burning oven. It's functional and a focal point. Our menu can feature pizzas cooked as diners watch, with your pies for dessert."

Avalon closed her eyes a moment as she thought through the logistics. "What do we do in the summer? It will be sweltering in here."

"We replace this front wall with French doors, and double the size of the front porch for seating."

"Or even triple the size," Avalon said, looking out the front windows. "There's a nice flower bed. We can feature that." She took a pad of paper out of her jacket and made notes of their ideas. "We'll need to provide shade. The diners would be in a garden but protected from the elements."

"I told you. This place is perfect. I even have a name for it: The Pie Hole."

"The renovations will be expensive. How can we afford it?" Avalon asked.

"I found an investor." Veronica took a deep breath. "Don't frown at me. He'll be a silent partner. He won't meddle, I promise. And he's willing to wait a few years for us to pay him back. He loves the idea of a haunted restaurant."