002: the wish

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

CHAPTER TWO OF ??

❝ the wish ❞

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

3RD PERSON POV. 1986, ROCKLAND COUNTY, NEW YORK.

(NAME) FRASER'S BEDROOM WAS VERY SELF-EXPRESSIVE. Her late mother had helped design the bedroom and things had been added to it over the years. She kept ahold of her stuffed toys from childhood, including a shelf of toys named after characters from the King Arthur myths.

There was a handmade toy that her mother called a Fiery with white buttons for eyes on a large side table in (Name)'s room. A gazebo-themed music box with a woman in an ornate dress as the dancer was also on the side table. A one-eyed fox-like stuffed animal was also present, standing with its side against a labyrinth board game.

A collection of fairytale and fantasy books, including an illustrated copy of the Wizard of Oz, Hans Christian Anderson's fairytales, Grimms' Fairytales, and Walt Disney's illustrated Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, backed against a wooden, carved Dwarf. 

"Through dangers untold..." (Name) murmured, sitting at her vanity set, a cardboard crown on her head and a tube of red lipstick in her hand, looking at her reflection dead in the eyes, "And hardships unnumbered...".

There was also a scrapbook with various newspaper cuttings and pictures, some from Disney films. But the main focus was (Name)'s late mother, to who she bore an uncanny resemblance too. Deirdre Fraser, the noted actress and Broadway star died when (Name) was 14. Her father remarried when she was 16. And Toby was born sometime last year, he was almost one. 

"I have fought my way here to the castle..." (Name) uttered, brandishing the lipstick tube softly, as if it was a small knife, or a pocketknife, "Beyond the Goblin City...to take back the child you have stolen,". 

Her imagination and ramblings were interrupted by two sharp knocks at the door. Her father. "(Name)? Can I talk to you?" Robert called. (Name) huffed, closing the lipstick and throwing it lightly onto the desk before removing the cardboard crown from atop her head.

"There's nothing to talk about, Dad!" (Name) huffed, "You better hurry or else you're both gonna be late your the reservation or whatever you're doing...".

From outside the door, Robert Fraser's voice echoed a response. "Listen, we've fed Toby and put him to bed," Robert explained, "We do have to leave now, but we'll be back around midnight, (Name) slowly turned around, jaw slacked in disbelief before she sighed. 

"You really wanted to talk to me, didn't you?" (Name) sarcastically asked, using a make-up wipe to remove the red lipstick from her mouth, before walking over to her bed and flopping herself down on it, "Practically broke down the door!".

There was no response and she assumed that her father had left. She heard the sound of the door shutting and locking from downstairs and she sighed. The music from the music box had fallen silent and (Name) was left in the silence of her room, glancing up at the glow-in-the-dark stars that had been stuck to her ceiling with blu-tack. 

The telephone that resided on her bedside table began to ring and (Name) sat up, answering the phone and holding it to her ear. "Hello, who's calling?" (Name) asked, twirling the pale yellow phone cord on her index finger.