001: the beginning

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

CHAPTER ONE OF ??

❝ the beginning ❞

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

3RD PERSON POV. 1986, ROCKLAND COUNTY, NEW YORK.

A girl in a sage green, medieval-inspired dress raced across a bridge in an essentially-empty park one evening in 1986, with her best friend, who was dressed in a similar-looking powder blue dress, wheezing heavily as she clutched her chest. The two girls stopped in front of a pale, stone bench, on which sat an old English sheepdog named Merlin and a golden retriever named Arthur. 

"Give us the child," the girl in the sage green dress, Sarah Williams, spoke. She was completely immersed in the roleplay that she and her best friend, (Name) Fraser, were performing, whilst (Name) tried her best to keep up, "Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, we have fought our way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City to take back the child you have stolen. For our wills are as strong as yours and our kingdoms are as great,".

Sarah cut herself off, her mind jumbled as she realised she could not remember the last line of the script they'd both devoted hours to remember. (Name) dug a small, leather-bound red book out of her dress pocket, with the words The Labyrinth etched into the cover in black lettering.

(Name) flicked through the pages, reaching the final page, jabbing the final line on the parchment pages. The book itself was old and had been passed through her mother's family through three centuries of generations, down to her. "You have no power over me?" she reminded, with a lop-sided grin.

Sarah nodded, as (Name) tucked the book away into her pocket. "Thank you," Sarah thanked, turning back to the bench, quickly reimmersing herself into the fantasy world they'd created together based on the book, "You have no power over me,".

Merlin and Arthur started barking and Sarah huffed, hands on her hips as she shot an annoyed glare at the pair of dogs. (Name) knew that Sarah absolutely despised it when anyone or anything interrupted their game, as Sarah called it. "Oh, Merlin, Arthur!" Sarah whined, huffing. 

A mixed group of laughter caught the girls' attention, and they turned to see the group of so-called popular kids laughing at them, just the four mean girls of their high school. Eve Howell. Audrey Winters. Laura Cooper. And Lucy Mitchell. Behind them, stood Eve and Lucy's boyfriends, Billy Berman and Stu Carmichael. 

"Sarah Williams and (Name) Fraser," Lucy cruelly spoke, walking towards them, twisting a strand of her brown locks around her index finger, "You two losers not grown out of your fairytale bullshit yet? God, you look like you're from the second grade,".

(Name) huffed. "Fuck off, Mitchell," (Name) sneered, glaring hatefully at the brunette and her posse of cliche high school girls, "Is your life so boring that you have to bully me and Sarah to give you the slightest bit of satisfaction?".

Lucy's face went a bright scarlet colour, blossoming with the unpleasantness of embarrassment, as her friends snickered at her, even Billy and Stu chuckled a little, "You've got balls, Fraser," Lucy spoke, through her embarrassment, smirking despite her red face, "I like that. How about you ditch this freak? You'd be pretty cool if you hung around with the...right people,".