The Cloak of Darkness

"We just need to get my brother to agree to help us get access to the roof of the Environettix headquarters," I say, after explaining my plan to Kelly and Coven.

"And why would he do that? We don't know if we can trust him. What about Vega?"

"She doesn't have the same clearance as he does. Only Aero can get us up there."

They both look at me skeptically.

"He's my brother. He'll help me."

"And what about us? He's not inclined to help us."

"But he will be with a lie. Frankly, I'm not worried about convincing him to get us up there. I'm worried about the cameras."

"We have a girl," Coven says. "On the inside. She works at the desk leading to the elevator, but she's only alone for a brief amount of time between the guard shifts. If we can time it right, then she can scramble the data feed running to the cameras, deleting the moment that we go up. They'll still have the images of us entering the building, but it will at least buy us some time if they don't know exactly where we went once they realize we've gone missing."

"That'll work." I nod my head.

"Once we leave the dome, we won't have much time anyway, between the lack of oxygen and....other things," Coven adds. No one speaks of the creatures aloud even though it's on all our minds. "When they realize we've left the dome, it will create a panic throughout the city, not just Environettix."

"Panic could be good. Panic needs to be controlled. It will keep them busy. And if...when, we return, they'll have to explain to everyone what's been happening."

"I'll get the message to our girl," Kelly interjects.

"I just need to wrap up a few details at my place. Let's rendezvous at 21:00 hours."

"Rendezvous?" Kelly raises an eyebrow.

"Well if 'm going to go on a life-threatening mission, I might as well try to have a little fun." I say, to which he smirks and shakes his head.

Coven and Kelly look at one another and nod in agreement, before we all go our separate ways.

***

Back at my place, I shower, taking longer than usual, knowing that it will be the last one I'll be able to take for an undetermined amount of time, or perhaps, ever. I dress and pack a few clothing items. I can't bring a lot. I don't want to be weighed down. I need to be able to move quickly. The image of the creatures feasting on my friends' flesh is in the forefront of my mind.

I grab a handful of meal cubs, enough to last me a couple days. I glance around my home one last time, then bid it farewell. Before I open the front door, I stop and ask my roommate for help, initiating the first step of our plan.

"Rona," I say. "I have a message for Mr. Tarquin."

"Proceed," she replies, ready to take down my exact words so I better craft them carefully.

"Tell him: message received. I give up. When he returns, I'll follow through with my end of the bargain as long as no one gets hurt." I say the last part so that it sounds convincing even though there's not a single cell in my body that believes that Cassius will play nice. Plus, Cassius likes thinking that I'm at his mercy. It'll keep him distracted from my true motivation. 

"Is that all Miss Attwood?"

"No. Tell him that I'd like one more night of freedom with my brother."

"Very well, Miss Attwood. Is there anything else?"