06

Finney was quite baffled. He hadn't even known what Bruce had wanted to talk about and before they could even meet at a table Bruce got in a fight. A fight that he had been losing quite severely.

And if that wasn't weird enough, Vance hopper himself had stepped in to defend him. Finney wouldn't have been surprised if he found out the guy had a severe concussion after seeing what Vance did to him.

The two had run out of the school and neither one of them came back. It was easy to say Finney was worried about his friend. Bruce hadn't said anything but he could tell whatever he wanted to talk about was really bothering him.

It was practically eating him alive. God, Gwen was right, he was totally way too worried about things. Even Robin noticed when he came over after school.

"Is this about the fight?" Robin asked, moving his hand from where he had previously been shaking finney's shoulder, effectively snapping finney from his trance.

"Hm? Oh- sort of." Finney sputtered, combing his fingers through his hair nervously. He almost always found something to be worried about, whether it be bullies, his dad, or Robin's lack of effort when it came to school work.

"I'm sure he'll be fine, the guy didn't beat on him for too long." Robin reasoned, giving Finney a comforting smile. Finney didn't know where he'd be without Robin to anchor him. He'd be adrift at sea.

"It's not that I'm worried about," not fully anyway. "He said he wanted to talk to me, remember? He seemed worked up about it, I could tell." Finney explained, his frown deepening and his eyebrows creasing.

"I'm sure it'll be fine, he can always talk to you tomorrow." Robin reasoned, slinging an arm around Finney's shoulder and bringing him closer.

That was apparently enough to soothe Finney's racing brain, so he sighed and smiled at robin. "Yeah, you're right."

"I'm always right." Robin 'helpfully' supplied, smiling victoriously as he looked at finney.

"Liar." Finney said, his grin widening.

Bruce huffed as he slid out of his window. He shut it gently behind himself, making sure to leave an inch or two for his fingers to wrench open when he returned from his 'stroll'.

He shoved his hands in the pocket of his hoodie, shivering slightly in the cold autumn air. He sighed as he started his walk through the lit up streets of his neighborhood.

He had a specific destination in mind for this walk of his. The park. Was anyone really surprised? Even though he and Vance were on questionable terms, the memories of their walk there together had been playing on loop in his head as he wondered how Vance really felt about him.

Did he like him? Hate him? Tolerate him? He couldn't tell at all and he was hoping visiting the park would soothe him. He doubted it'd work but any excuse to get out of his stuffy room, right?

In reality he was kinda nervous what would happen if he continued to lay in bed, his own mind devouring him. He figured thinking about what was bothering him was exactly the opposite of what he wanted to do on this walk so he quickly, mentally changed the subject.

He decided to think about the stars. The display above him was dampened by all the bright yellow streetlights but he could get over it. The lights gradually faded as he exited out of the general area of his more 'classy' neighborhood.

He looked up at all the stars as he walked, almost tripping and face planting on multiple occasions. He didn't really mind the risk of eating shit in the road when everything already hurt.

He'd eventually made it to the park, the little facts Finney told him about the stars keeping his mind company as he walked the desolate streets.

He was excited to take a moment to sit down and enjoy the night, more than he already was at least. The nice idea was shattered to bits when he saw a silhouette sitting on the edge of where rocks met the river.

He hadn't minded at first, but the person looked quite similar to the boy running around his head. He decided not to risk it and just walk back home, it was irritating, but he would rather waste a trip than talk to Vance at the moment.

He didn't want to talk to the blonde until he figured out his feelings. Forget liking a boy, what about liking someone who treats you like dirt. What about being infatuated with someone who acts really charming one day and then punches you the next?

He turned around to leave only to step onto the loudest stick he'd ever heard. He snapped his head back towards the person just to be met with Vance's blue eyes. They were tearing into him, whether Vance intended them to or not.

Bruce felt his throat tighten nervously. His heart only thumped louder when Vance spoke his name. "Bruce?" His voice sounded just as strangled as he imagined his own would.

"Yeah?" His voice was almost a whisper as he watched Vance stand up and walk closer to himself. He felt his hands ball into fists. Anger, anxiety, and sadness were all coursing through him at once making it feel like his body was on the verge of bursting.

"Listen, I'm so fucking sorry. I-I don't know what came over me earlier." Vance stumbled. He did sound sorry but Bruce was still upset. He was still hurt. Physically and emotionally.

"I just don't get it." Bruce mumbled, breaking eye contact with Vance as he looked back up at the stars. The stars wouldn't hurt him like this. He was starting to understand Finney's obsession.

"Get what?" Vance asked after a few seconds of silence, still staring at Bruce even though his head was craned upwards towards the sky.

"What do I mean to you? Do you hate me? Is that why you're playing with me like this?" Bruce asked, his voice breaking slightly as he got worked up. He finally mustered up the energy to look back at Vance.

Vance was looking back at him, the same misery on his face. They stood in silence, both waiting for Vance to come up with a coherent answer that wasn't loud swears or unintelligible sobs.

"I-" He hesitated. "I don't know. It's complicated, y'know?" Bruce definitely knew. He knew all too well exactly what Vance meant. Bruce felt himself sympathize a little, but enough to make him forgive him. Not just like that.

"I just haven't been able to get you off my mind. There must be something wrong with me." Vance muttered, his own first clenching hard enough to break someone's finger.

He stepped closer, "I just can't stay away from you." Bruce was shocked, both with how close he was and how vulnerable Vance was being. Bruce would've been honored if he wasn't upset with him.

"I don't know why I feel like this. But I just couldn't get the thought of this off my mind." Vance said, taking yet another step closer. Bruce was confused, what did he mean by this?

Vance grabbed Bruce's face, their eyes locking intensely as the silence overtook them. Bruce stared deeply into Vance's eyes, wondering if this was real or just a concussion induced hallucination.

Bruce was about to side with the hallucination when suddenly their lips were being smashed together and The Vance hopper was kissing him in the middle of a public park.

Bruce kissed him back with just as much vigor as Vance, he felt arms wrap around his waist, fitting perfectly just like he'd dreamed about. This was all too sweet. Sweet enough to rot your teeth.

Bruce unfortunately realized that this was wrong. Was it wrong? He shouldn't really be going around kissing boys, especially boys who his parents have deemed evil. Especially boys who've punched him. Boys who are whispered about in the halls.

He pulled away. The air felt colder as he pushed himself away from Vance, his arms sliding off his waist. He bit the side of his cheek. "Vance- I can't do this! I can't keep standing around as you do whatever you want with my feelings! This isn't a game! At least not to me!" Bruce shouted.

Vance looked startled, Bruce wasn't one to yell often, well not until recently. He used to enjoy keeping up his image of the super sweet and kind baseball boy. That was the version of him people liked best.

Bruce felt tears welling up in his eyes. He viciously wiped at his eyes as he glared at Vance. "I gotta get home." It was a stiff sentence. Neither of them were really that happy with it, but nonetheless Bruce turned around and Vance didn't stop him.

He didn't do anything at all.