9

I knock on Rhysand's office door.

I hear a faint, "Come in."

I step inside, only to see him pouring through paperwork, and books with symbols I don't recognize.

Rhys barely glanced at me, before he explains, "There's been another attack on the Southern border."

"Attack?" I questioned.

Rhys confirmed, "The second one this week."

"Could something have passed through the boundaries?" I ask, trying to help him find the root of the problem.

He shakes his head, "No. We would've felt it. Or heard a report. Or something. The only thing around there is—"

I finish for him, "The Ancient Burial Sites."

"Yes." He agrees, finally giving me his whole attention.

I feel confused, "Who would want to be anywhere near that? It's one of our most sacred sites... and haunted."

A breath of frustration turns into: "I don't know."

"Could Helion have had something slip through?" I think of our neighbor to the south.

Rhysand stands and starts stretching his back. He also does the same to his knee, and suddenly I remember how he hurt it in the first war. He answers, "I doubt it. Considering our relations."

"Did you and Feyre finally take him on his offer? And you didn't tell me?" I tease him, and watch as his cheeks go slightly pink.

Rhys denies it, "No. It's about Lu—never mind. We're late."

"That's what I came into tell you. Everyone is waiting downstairs." I open the door, and mockingly point towards it. 

Rhysand rolls his eyes, and then his violet eyes that reflect mine hardened.

It was time.

I couldn't stay a secret for any longer.

And so, I donned my other personality.

The Night Mare.

I wore the familiar silks of black, weaving across my body. It covered where my wings were supposed to be, hiding the scars, but showing off the tattoos of constellations on my back. Some were deals, and promises, and others were permanent. Some were long forgotten.

Rhys and Feyre winnowed first, then Nesta and Cassian followed. Mor went by herself, but I grabbed onto Azriel's arm. I winnowed us both to the place that held the worst of all of my memories.

Hewn City.

The large cavern had not changed since I last arrived. I let go of Azriel, and I let a twisted grin show on my face. It's a second skin, almost scary how easy it was to pull back, but it was necessary.

Everything was a shade between black and gray, the rocks menacingly jutting out of the mountain side.

We only walked a short distance to the seat of my brother's power. Two guards, Nightbringers, stand at the door. One look at their High Lord and Lady, and they begin to open the doors.

One makes eye contact with me, and I see a flash of shock run across his face. I smiled.

We enter the Court of Hewn City.

The night has just begun, and it will log stretch on.

High Fae dance to the music played by musicians high up in the rafters. They drink, and laugh, and dance, as if there isn't a care in the world.