Why Did It Happen?

I ran with my feet pounding against the soft earth. The greenery of the forest rushed past beside me as a blur. I wasn’t able to look behind me in thought he would gain yet more ground on me, instead I scanned the scene in front of me. Ahead I saw the thick trunks of rainforest trees. There was fog crowding around their bottoms. The forest floor was scattered with dead leaves and broken twigs. The twigs cracked under my feet, and the sound echoed in the still night. My surroundings gave off an eerie quality. The shadows of the trees created long fingers that felt to be reaching out to me.

I gasped out as I nearly fell. The floor was wet and slippery from the fog. It was melting against my ankles. As I ran I could hear the soft whistle of wind sliding throught the gaps of the trees. It did nothing but scare me further.

I needed a place to stop and catch my breath, I thought as I kept running. 'A place where he wouldn't find me'. I could hear my panting breathe become more strained, as I looked from side to side. In my haste of searching for a place of sanctuary, I didn't see the tangle of roots ahead, and instead of veering around them like I would have done if I had been paying attention to my feet, I tripped. I became sprawled on the ground with a sprained ankle. Panic coursed through my veins like adrenaline. I knew he would soon catch up to me and I would be the easy kill.

I fumbled my way across the forest floor, searching for anything that would help, I heard his thumping steps become more defined as he came closer.

My breathing was getting to the point of hyperventilation. My body felt as though it was going to have a panic attack. 'I didn't want to die', Was what kept running it's self through my head, and then re-running, Becoming the only thing that I was focused on as I became an easy target. My heart was beating against my chest at an excruciating pace, it was so fast that it hurt, I tried to breathe calmer.

'That's not what I am. I am not easy prey. If I go down it will be with a fight', I thought encouragingly to myself. My brain had now snapped into action with these last thoughts. I had to move of the path. With the last of my strength and energy united I crawled to the sanctuary of a hollow tree trunk. I was afraid to leave a trail through the leaves so I travelled at the slowest pace I could bare. Arriving at the hollow trunk I squeezed myself into the hole, pulling my legs up to my chest and wrapping my arms around them as I became as small as possible. My heart was beating a hundred miles an hour as the steps grew closer.

His pace had changed from quick, rushed steps to small, quiet precise ones. He was hunting me out. Searching the grounds. He would soon come to the tangle of roots and realize that I had fallen. He would discover I was close. The hunter would never give up until he had finished what had been started. He would not rest until I was dead. My mind prayed that he would not find the trail I had left and find me quicker.

Although I was stricken with fear I was still able to allow a small smirk to play on my lips. 'I wouldn't go down that easy. Not without a fight'.

The air in my lungs suddenly became caught in my throat, as I started to hear the pant of a crazed being. I was unnerved that he was so close. I kept my panic closed up tight in a box. He would find me eventually, him being one not to give up. Although when he did. I would be ready.

"Come out, come out where ever you are" He called psychotically.

I felt a presence extremely close. Their hot breathe blowing on my neck. "Found you" They whispered.

His breathe was blowing right on my face, and I could almost feel the air entering and exiting his lungs. He was inhaling the scent of me. I felt the air leave my lungs as a forceful punch reached my gut. Before I had time to regain myself I registered that a strong hand was gripping the front of my t-shirt. I was brought out of my hiding place and dragged into a light up clearing.

I had never been here before and I didn't like the fact that I was here now. I whipped my head back and forth looking for what had brought me here. My eyes landed on a hunched over figure centred near a large moss painted tree. The lighting letting it give of creepy shadows. I was scared I admit.’I didn't want to die' played itself through my head again. 'Death isn't always the worst thing' A voice in the back of my head replayed.

The hunched over figure, now straightened up had turned to face me. Blood had been smeared across their lips from his previous victim. I shuddered, my eyes moving themselves to find a lifeless body by the killers side. Ripple after ripple kept shaking my body. I stood there frozen in horror, not moving my eyes from the blood smeared face of the man who would soon make the fatal decision for me.

The crazed man moved towards me slowly. Each step bringing him closer. I couldn’t even move my face away as he leant in to blow on my neck. Shivers ran up and down my spine. I could smell the blood. The rusty metallic scent. I tried to shy away but couldn’t. My body didn’t respond.

"Do you know who I am?" he asked breathily.

I couldn’t answer, not even nod.

I felt a sharp pain spread across my frozen cheek. The slap shook my whole body, and yet I still couldn’t move.

"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" he screamed in my face losing it.

He took a step back after yelling. Eyeing me up and down. I was so exposed in this clearing. My skin was only covered by my short running pants, and my top half was protected only by a thin coverage of cotton. I could feel my nipples were stiff from the cold. He was focused on them. Licking his lips he moved closer to me and running a hand down my side. He started from the top of my shoulder to the waist band of my shorts. 

I could feel him starting to tug on them, looking into my eyes greedily he pulled them down all the way to my ankles, revealing my black panties. Shock and panic coursed through my body. I couldn’t stop what he did next. My body was not cooperating. I had no control.

As he placed his hands on my hips to run them up all the way to the start of my bra. I felt him manipulating the clip to come undone. As he popped it open I felt my boobs become exposed even more to the chilly night air. They were now only sheltered by my see through singlet. 

They were perky and hard with Goosebumps covering them. The hunter couldn’t take his eyes of my chest.

I breathed in and out slowly in an attempt to calm the rhythm of my heart and compose myself some. I closed my eyes and tried to imagine a better place than here. This crazed man could do whatever he wanted, but I would get revenge. I always do.

Stirring himself from his daze he journeyed closer to me again. Bringing his hand up to cup my left breast. He moved his face close to mine. Noses almost touching he parted his mouth in a way to kiss me. I scrunched my eyes closed again. Tightly trying to block it out. 'I didn’t want any of this. I didn’t ask for it'.

I screamed out in pain and my eyes flew open. He had not opened his mouth to kiss me, but instead to cruelly bite my neck. The man snapped his head up to my eyes with blood dripping down the side of his jaw, I saw the wildness in his black heartless eyes. I saw the joy that he had in causing harm.

I had finally regained a little control of my body I allowed my muscles to stiffen in disgust. He now situated his arms back on my shoulders and forcefully pushed me down onto the ground. I suppressed a groan, not wanting him to find more pleasure. He quickly came to hover over my body. He slapped my face again. Slapping it from side to side as he continued to lay into me.

By the 17th slap I succumbed to the darkness. The pain was too much and I was weak. 'Let him do what he will', I thought depressingly. 'I’m no use anymore'. My last thoughts as everything became black.' I am nothing anymore. I can do no more. Let what happen, happen'.