Chapter Sixteen: Something Wicked

Thank you all for 500 reads! 🤍

    Alex stands beside me as I pick up the broken pieces of the coffee mugs I dropped. "Who do you think is haunting this cabin, Stacey?" Alex asks. "You won't believe me if I tell you..." I stand up and face him. "I really don't get it, though. You believe in ghosts, so why is it so hard to believe that there's something evil here?" I ask. Alex turns away from me, "My sister isn't evil." I sigh, "I'm not saying she is." Alex scoffs, "Then where's this evil spirit coming from? Explain it to me, so I can understand. I've agreed that Charlotte's spirit is here, but I'm not sure what else you want from me." I let the porcelain pieces fall into the trash can with a sharp crash. "Never mind. Forget it." I sigh. "No, I won't forget it. I can't." He groans, "You're either saying my sister is evil or something evil is with my sister. That's what you're trying to say. Well, I won't have it!" He yells. "I'm sorry." I say. Alex shakes his head, "Not good enough." He steps in front of me, placing his hands on my shoulders, "Talk to me. I promise I'll hear what you have to say. I won't argue. I'll just hear you out. Fair enough?" He asks. I look to my right, still not wanting to face him. "Stacey. Stacey. Stacey. Please, look at me. Please? Pretty please?" He begs. A giggle escapes my lips and I glance up at him. "If I tell anyone that I'm talking to you like this, I will deny it with my drying breath." He says firmly. "No one would believe me anyway." I laugh. "So? Tell me. Why do you think there's something evil here?" Alex asks. "I don't think. I know." I reply. "How do you know?" He asks. "Because I can feel it. I've felt evil before, I know what it's like. With every fiber of my being, I can feel it, and it scares me because...I think it's Bryce." Alex sighs, "You think your stepfather is haunting us?" I nod, "He wants revenge. It's the only thing that makes sense. The leeches, the music box, the broken window...the dishes. It's him. It's Bryce. He wants revenge for what I did." Alex pulls me into his chest, running a hand down my back. "Stacey, I'm so sorry. I didn't think...I thought you... Never mind what I thought. Even if Bryce was after you...I wouldn't let him hurt you." Alex says softly. "How? How can you say that?" I ask. "Easy. With these lips." Alex's lips brush my temple. "Bryce was evil." I state. "But you're not. The darkness can't touch the light. Have you ever heard that?" He asks. I nod, "Yes, but I don't agree. Believe me, darkness has a way of making itself known, even when you think it's not there." Alex sighs, "It's true Stacey. Evil may try, it may wear you down, but it'll never win." My thoughts instantly flash to Lucas. But it did win.

"I'd never expect the great Alex Carter to say something like that." I laugh, "Are you sure you haven't been possessed or something?" He smiles, "Very funny." He sighs deeply, then his arms around me slacken. "I know I can come across as a little arrogant at times." He says. "A little?" I laugh. He nods, "Fine, but I'm a successful man. It comes with the territory. I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't have the attitude that I have. If I didn't expect perfection, then I wouldn't get it. That's why I have to be tough." I shrug, "There's a difference between being tough and being mean. Besides, you may find people will work just as well for you if you're nice to them. Not because they're scared of you, but because they want to please you." Alex smirks, "You want to please me?" His hand slides down from my back to my hip, then to my thigh and I blush. "How about you and I forget about ghosts and death for a little bit?" He asks. "Isn't that why we're in this cabin in the first place? To find out what really happened?" I ask, trying to focus on the task at hand rather than Alex's wandering fingers. "It is," He nods, "but it doesn't mean we can't focus on other things." "What other things?" I ask. I feel Alex's hands creep southward as his lips brush against my neck. "Things like this..." A shiver of excitement spread through me, but I resist. "I don't think this is a good idea." Alex freezes. "Why not?" He asks. "Wally could show up any minute." I reply. Alex leans back and pulls out his phone, sending a text message. "Problem solved." He smiles. "You told him not to come?" I ask. He nods, a mischievous smile on his face. "I did."
"Why? What reason did you give? What if he starts to think we're dating?" I ask, "I thought you wanted to keep an eye on him." Alex shrugs, "I did, but if he saw that article, he won't believe my excuse to have him here anyway. Besides, I like you." I scoff, "You like me?" I feel my cheeks begin to flush. "I really, really like you." Alex says and grabs hold of my hand. "Do you know where I'd really, really like you?" He asks. I feel my entire face go red, but ask, "Where?" Alex smirks, "In bed. With me." His voice sends shivers down my neck. "I really should finish cleaning the floor." I sigh. Alex shakes his head, "Oh, come on, you can do it later." I shake my head, "No, I need to get it done or it'll be bugging me all night." Alex sighs deeply, "Fine. I'll be in the tub. Feel free to join me when you're doing, if that's what you'd like." I nod as he heads upstairs.