Chapter Ten: Not Alone

Alex told Stacey he didn't know who tipped off the reporters only moments before sending an anonymous text. A text saying that they really are a couple. A text he sent without her knowledge. Now, the two of them are back in the cabin while Jenny and Cletus camp out in a car nearby.

Jenny POV

"We got another tip, Cletus. If we get in that cabin, we'll get our money shot. It's the story of our careers." I gush. "You expect us to just break in?" Cletus gasps as he snaps a photo of the trees around him. "What else can we do?" I ask, "Wait for an invitation?" Cletus leans back in the seat. "Well, what do you suppose we do? Make nice with that Norman Bates look-alike? What's his name...Wally?" I shake my head, "No. I don't think that'll work." Cletus shrugs, "Then what?" He focuses his lens on the cabin. "We may have to sneak in and out. You up for that, Cleatus?" I ask. He looks up at the dark clouds forming overhead. "Quick and quiet...like we were never there?" He asks. I nod, "Exactly. Like a ghost."

Later That Night...

Stacey POV

"Looks like another rainy night." I sigh and push the curtains back. "If it rains enough to flood the roads, Wally might not make it out tonight." Alex says. I didn't realize Alex had walked up behind me. His nearness causes me to jump. "Did I scare you?" He asks slowly. I brush my ponytail back over my shoulders. "No, you just surprised me. That's all." I reply. "You're pretty jumpy. You know that?" Alex laughs. I don't respond.
"Well, if Wally doesn't show up, I guess we can have a pretty tame evening." I raise a brow. "What do you mean?" I ask. "If he can't make it, neither can those reporters." Alex explains. He reaches across my shoulder and moves the curtains back just as it starts to sprinkle. I'm not used to being this close to him, and for the first time, I'm surrounded by the musky scent of his cologne. "It sure does rain here a lot." Alex sighs. I nod, "I'm starting to think it rains more often than not."
"Yeah, no kidding." I watch Alex turn and walk toward the kitchen. The rain becomes heavier as it pounds against the roof. "We should probably have dinner without Wally." Alex calls out whilst pulling some steaks from the fridge. "I hope you know how to cook these." He says. I nod, "I put them in the fridge to defrost." As I make my way into the kitchen, Alex leans against the counter. "So, about today– all we found out was Sheriff Dan knew Charlotte wasn't his." Alex says. "You don't sound surprised." I reply. Alex takes a step to the fridge and pulls out a bagged salad. "Well, no, it doesn't surprise me." He says. "What I don't understand is why anyone would murder Charlotte. She was innocent in all this." I say, then jump as the clap of thunder crashes outside, causing Alex to suppress a grin. "I mean...whoever killed her was a monster. I still can't believe they never caught him." Alex opens his mouth, "Actually–" He's interrupted as the lights suddenly start to flicker. "We have a backup generator in case the power goes out." I remind him. "Well, we might need it if the rain keeps up like this." Alex replies.

I turn to the steaks and begin seasoning when I notice my hand is covered in a thick red liquid. Is that blood? I flip the steaks over and even more blood begins to seep out. I can hardly believe my eyes, staring down into the thick, red puddle. It's as if someone is squeezing the hell out of it. I brush the thought away and keep seasoning the steak, trying to ignore the pool of blood now leaking onto the counter. This is unreal...What's going on? I begin to reach for a napkin, when suddenly the lights go out. I stand shrouded in darkness. "Mr. Carter?" I call out.
"Uhh... shouldn't the generator come on how?" Alex asks.
"I think we may have to turn it on." I reply. I can hear the rain and crackling thunder just outside the door. I head to the sink and wash my hands. "So...are you going to turn it on?" Alex asks. "Me? Uh, yeah. Yes, of course." I reply. Three loud pounds on the door stop me dead in my tracks. "Did you hear that?" I ask. From somewhere close, I hear Alex say, "Stay here." He uses his phone as a flashlight as he makes his way to the front door. I follow quick on his heels. Again– three pounds against the door bellow out over the rain. "Who's there?" Alex calls out. No one responds. "Should we call the police?" I ask. "Might've just been an animal or something." Alex replies. He doesn't sound convinced. "Let's just go check on the generator." I sigh.