02;

chapter two,     the clash of the first and the second

chapter two,
the clash of the first and the second

             GOSSIP spread quickly, like diseases. Seeing Wave entering the training room wasn't a surprise to him. He wasn't informed about the changes and he perfectly knew why, but he couldn't have a say in this. Even through all of their rivalry, he could admit that she was a respected weaponologist and her reports to Erudites about gun making were precise and detailed. But, God, she was a real pain in the ass.

            "Well look at all of these happy faces," Wave chirped, looking at the bunch of transfers standing in one lump of people. There wasn't any happiness on their faces. Most of them clearly looked like they were regretting their choices, and the others looked ready to inflict some pain. It was a mentor's job to make sure such maniacs didn't get loose.

That's why this year had some new ground rules. Not all of them will make it to the faction and will be forced to become factionless. It has happened because, over the past three years, there have been too many incidents where a transfer gets loose and commits murder. The tests will be tougher both physically and mentally. They cannot afford to let another rampage happen.

Wave finally looked at her partner. She doesn't even remember how their rivalry actually began, well, actually she does. It was very humbling to be always in second place when an Abnegation transfer was better than you in everything. It wasn't that she hated his guts, but both of them didn't share a common cause and they didn't try to. So she took it upon herself to make it her personal mission to make him suffer from time to time.

            But she couldn't deny that Four looked like a real Dauntless. From one look you knew that you shouldn't mess with this guy. It was the way he stood, the way he walked, the way he carried himself. He didn't care about piercing his body or spending too much time at the tattoo salon. He didn't intend to make himself look dangerous, but his sharp features and those coffee-brown eyes always seemed to be clouded by something. Four knew he was one of the best. But he didn't brag like others would, as she would, he accepted his glory in silence and that, made him intimidating.

            "This—this is our mentor?" A voice from the group was heard.

            Four chuckled, already knowing that transfers had half the brain, but knew better than to mess with him. However, Wave didn't look as tough standing beside him. She was a whole head smaller than him and wasn't very muscular. For bigger guys, she must seem like an easy-to-catch to win, but she knew her ways. She was smarter.

            "Step up when you're talking," she demanded, but she didn't seem bothered by this remark. Not a glint of worry clouded her face.

            The group slowly separated, leaving a tall, quite lanky guy to stand in the middle. Wave grinned, unconsciously licking her lips: "A Candor. Could sniff you out miles away."