Chapter Twenty-Four: Beta

Hey guys, sorry it's been so long since my last update! I hope you guys enjoy this one, and hopefully I'll be on a more consistent update schedule soon.

.          .         .

Now there's a sight for sore eyes. After weeks of wading knee-deep in Tenakth territory, fighting stubborn commanders, deadly machines, and enraged rebels alike, it was nice to finally be mere minutes away from the Base. In the time since Aloy and she had first left their newfound headquarters to retrieve GAIA's lost subfunctions, Orea had reunited with the Marshall whose life she had saved, uncovered another relic of the mysterious Lily Faro, and torn down the Sky Clan's great bastion, the Bulwark. Suffice it to say, a few things had happened. And hopefully, Varl will be back from the East with Erend. Hoisting Roger onto her back, Orea made the climb up the Base's entrance. With Aloy leading the trio, they walked back into the Base, Orea's heart thumping in anticipation of what they would find.

Orea heard Erend long before she ever saw him. The Oseram's yelps of surprise echoed through the metal hallways, and Orea forced herself to stifle a laugh as she set Roger down. Sounds like somebody's teaching Erend how to use a Focus. Or at least trying to.

"Like this? Woah!"

"You're not waving a hammer around Erend," someone-Varl-chuckled. "Try a gentler touch."

"My big sausage fingers don't really do gentle."

"I've noticed. Try to bring it back by tracing the line to your right-no, your other right."

"I saw it! Gotcha!" Without warning, a thundering cacophony of music flooded Orea's ears. Sounds like Concrete Beach Party. Orea had hoped never to hear the duo's syncopated shouting again. There goes that dream. "They call it a Concussion Beat Party or something!" Erend declared excitedly. "Now this is music."

"For Zo and Varl's sake, I think we should end this," Aloy suggested, cringing at overly-blaring music (if it could even be called that).

"Yeah..." Stepping into the main chamber, the sisters were met with quite a sight. Erend was swinging his head to the offbeat tunes of Concrete Beach Party, Varl loosing a resigned sigh as he clapped the Oseram on the shoulder. Zo, however, looked ready to kill. Hoping to avoid the spillage of Erend's guts all over the floor, Orea cleared her throat.

"Aloy, Orea!" Zo smiled. "You've returned." Hastily deactivating his Focus, Erend turned to face them.

"Erend," Orea smiled, overjoyed to see her friend once more. "It's good to see you all patched up."

"It's good to be patched up," Erend grinned. "And if you two need my help, I'm game."

"Thanks Erend," Aloy nodded, although Orea noticed the perplexing glint in her twin's eye, the very same glint she'd seen the night Aloy had left Varl behind in Meridian. Orea tucked the observation away for later when she had a chance to speak with her sister one-on-one. "That means a lot."

"We're glad to have you here," she added.

"You should know your Tenakth friend arrived a few days ago," Zo interjected. Kotallo. "And your Carja friend passed through here as well."

"Where is he?"

"I showed him to one of the rooms. He seemed to appreciate the privacy." I should go talk to him, see how he's doing.

"Alright, I'm gonna go give AETHER to GAIA, and then we can all catch up." Aloy announced. "You coming Orea?"

"No, I think I'm gonna check on Kotallo: see how he's doing with his Focus and everything." As Aloy ascended the steps to GAIA's dome, Orea turned to Zo.