Chapter Twenty: The Kulrut

Hello ladies and gentleman, it's been a hot minute. I'm sorry this update took so long. Between midterms, Halloween, and my uncle passing away, I haven't really had the time or motivation to write for a couple weeks. I hope to get back on track soon and have updates maybe every two weeks. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter and thank you guys so much for your patience.

.          .          .

The Grove was abuzz with activity, preparations for the Kulrut having begun in full force. Since Orea and Kotallo's arrival two days ago, hundreds of Tenakth had poured into the capital: Desert and Sky and Lowland alike, all eager to watch the best among them compete for the title of Marshall. With Kotallo duty-bound to to assist Hekarro in planning the ritual, Orea had mostly been left to her own devices. She was, in effect, a single Nora amidst a sea of Tenakth-although Kotallo had joined her for dinner each night. The two of them had traded stories as they ate, an easy back-and-forth that had seamlessly developed between them.

At first, surrounded on all sides by utter strangers, Orea had been somewhat cautious as to how the Tenakth would receive an outlander traipsing casually about their capital, but the Seeker's worries had quickly found themselves unfounded. Word of her deeds at the Bulwark had quickly spread, and most of the Tenakth regarded her with wary respect. Some had even offered her a friendly jostle on the shoulder or nod of approval (it seemed Tekotteh wasn't all that popular). A few had even asked to spar, a request Orea had found curious until she'd brought the matter to Kotallo. 'The Tenakth respect strength, and you've proven yours,' he had explained yesterday at dinner, taking a long draught of his ale. 'For one Tenakth to ask another to a friendly spar is a sign of respect between them, an indication that they regard each other as comrades.'

Roger, however, had drawn by far the most attention. Tenakth were either understandably distrustful of the machine or endlessly intrigued by it. Dozens of questions had flown from the their lips, inquiries of what and how and why. Orea had eventually spent an entire evening answering the Grove's questions, Roger curled up lazily against her legs.

Now, she was seated within the Grove's communal dining hall, running her spear back and forth along her whetstone to sharpen it. The huntress inclined her head as Kotallo strode gracefully through the entryway, the Marshall purposefully ignoring the many appalled glares thrown his way. As if he chose to lose an arm.

"Hey," she greeted, taking a strong swig of her water jug as she did so. "How are the preparations going?"

"Good," he grunted, sliding into the bench opposite her. "Our defenses are nearly in place."

"Where will Aloy and I be?"

"I'm not sure, but I think Hekarro mentioned he wanted you near the rear of the arena. It's the only plausible location from where Regalla could attack, and the two of you have the most experience fighting the rebels." Of course, we do have our deal with Hekarro to uphold. If they wanted access to AETHER, they needed to defend the Kulrut.

"I suppose that makes sense. What about you?"

"I'll be with Hekarro." Orea nodded; that made sense enough. The Tenakth chieftain would have quite the target on his back, given Regalla's searing hatred towards him. The huntress opened her mouth to reply, but was promptly cut-off by a sudden commotion leaking in from the front gate.

"The other outlander!"

"She's returned!"

"Let her through." Aloy. She's back from the Bulwark. A glance shared between them, both Seeker and Marshall quickly rose from their seats, weaving their way to the front of the crowd. Just as Orea suspected, Aloy had returned and was currently being flooded by a swarm of curious Tenakth. The Nora grimaced as she tried to politely push past them, Aloy having never been fond of crowds.