Desperate Times

Natsu screamed, writhing in pain from the deafening noise. Wendy's cries mingled with his as her sensitive ears were also affected. That's when Lucy remembered that Dragon Slayers have acute hearing and any loud noises would almost render them unconscious. She immediately felt sorry for them, for whatever she felt at that moment was nothing compared to what they were feeling.

'Loki...'

When the noise stopped, everyone breathed a sigh of relief.  Although Wendy was reduced to tears. Erza glared at their captor with so much hate in her gaze that it shocked her. Lucy stared at Erza, stuck as if in a trance. She had never seen such an expression on her companion's face. Never. Lucy cried out as her hair was pulled, forcing her into an upright position. She hated herself for crying out. She was stronger than that, but she couldn't help it.

"Leave Lucy alone!"

Natsu shouted, violently pulling against his restraints. Gray remained silent, breathing heavily. He was trying to discreetly use his abilities in an attempt to free one of his team mates the second their captors left. From where she was seated, Lucy could feel the heat radiating from Natsu, obviously interfering with Gray's attempts to escape.

"Stop it, you idiot!"

Gray shouted, causing Erza to snap out of her daze and growl at them to be quiet. The men were still outside the door it seemed. Lucy listened closely, straining her ears to hear even a snippet of the conversation. Nothing. She sighed when the men left, a wave of depression falling over her as she realized how useless she was.

"What are they saying?"

She questioned softly, looking to Natsu searchingly. He just shook his head limply, setting his jaw in a stubborn line. If he tried hard enough, he could burn his chains and get everyone out of there.

"Don't even think about it, you idiot! You'll burn Lucy. I've got this."

Gray warned, his voice sharp with irritation. He renewed his focus, determination cutting a grim shadow over his features. Why was this taking so long?

"Who are you calling an idiot, you squinty eyed moron?! You'll see, I'll get us both out of here!"

A warning shout from Erza was drowned out by the roar of Natsu's abilities, and Lucy's cries of shock. Gray managed to weaken his chains enough to free a hand so he could shield Lucy from the flames, but not before her arm suffered mild burns as a result of Natsu's temper.

"Lucy! Are you okay?"

Now free, Natsu realised what he'd done and regretted it. He shook his unconscious teammate in an effort to wake her. It seemed the force of their abilities had caused her to hit her head and black out.

"Wendy! You can fix her, right? If Natsu could free you?"

Erza swallowed her temper and looked towards Wendy, hoping the young DragonSlayer was up to the task.