Two

Thursday finds Lisa back in the library, this time working on a political science take-home test, not 18th Century Prussian literature.

"We have a problem," Jennie announces when she whirls into Lisa's space.

Lisa does not look up. Cannot risk seeing the smudged mark on the side of Jennie's throat. Not here, exactly where she gave it to her two days ago. Not when she's thought of virtually nothing else in the intervening 48 hours. She's never had such a hard time focusing in class.

"What?" She asks, nose pointed firmly at her printout.

Jennie sits down exactly like she did on Tuesday afternoon, like she does most days actually: kinetic energy messily coming to a standstill, knees and elbows disregarding both Lisa's personal and study space. "Don't be mad at me, but..."

Now Lisa does look up. "What?" Jennie's words shock her out of her studied indifference. Her eyes find Jennie's worried brown ones and she automatically leans closer, concerned. "What happened? Why would I be mad at you?"

"Miguel wasn't in class today."

Lisa's eyebrows wrinkle. "Who is... Oh, the guy in your geology lecture?"

Jennie nods, bottom lip stuck between her teeth.

"So," Lisa extrapolates, "the hickey was for nothing."

"I said don't be mad at me!"

"I'm not-"

"How was I supposed to know he wouldn't be there today?!"

"Jennie," Lisa says very firmly, hand coming to rest on her friend's. "I'm not mad at you."

"Okay, okay. Sorry, I just feel bad asking you to do it again, when I know it was already a big favour in the first pla-"

Lisa removes her hand. "Do it again?"

"...yes?" Jennie smiles winsomely. "Maybe? Please? There's no way this one is going to last until next Tuesday when I see him again."

"Jennie," Lisa says slowly. "Why don't you just tell him you don't want to date him?"

"He takes really good notes, Lalisa!" Jennie rushes out, "The professor talks so quickly during his lectures and you know I can't write that fast! Miguel's notes are the only thing keeping me from failing!"

Lisa pinches her nose. "I'm sure we could just get you a tape recorder or some-"

Jennie shifts away dejectedly. "If it's too much trouble, I can maybe ask Lisa or someone else to do it."

Lisa's eyes fly open at the suggestion. 'Someone else.'

"No, no." Lisa clears her throat, tries to get her voice back down to an appropriately even, unjealous tone. "I said I would help, so I will help. You know I mean it when I say something."

Jennie looks so hopeful, it kind of melts Lisa's heart. "Really?"

"Yes." She doesn't trust herself to say more without somehow saying everything.

"Okay," Jennie smiles, nodding excitedly. "So, this time, I was thinking you could do it here."

What is the term for buyer's remorse, but instead of regretting a purchase, one regrets an agreement? Whatever that is, Lisa is currently experiencing it in spades.

Because Jennie isn't pointing to her neck.

No, instead, the place she has decided she wants Lisa to leave her next hickey is lower. She has one finger hooked in the collar of her shirt, pulling it down a few inches, and is pointing to a spot along her collarbone.