University Years - Part II

"TK!" Owen Strand greeted his son with a smile and a hug, followed closely by his ex-wife Gwyneth.

Every day they receive a call from him, and for every winter vacation he comes back to New York City, they cannot hide the relief of knowing that they still have a son. Though, they had many mistakes and problems in their marriage, they can both agree that the most important thing in their life is their son. So, when he got accepted into the University of Florida, they were so proud of him. It has the best Fire Science program in the country! But they were also very afraid. TK had only just earned his one-year sobriety chip.

What if they lost him this time? The alcohol and drugs and parties at university were wild. What if he could not control himself?

They were also afraid when he had called and told them that for spring break he was going on a trip with friends. Scared that he had lied and gotten involved with drugs again. At the end, they had met their saving grace and angel, Buck. He had taken TK under his wing and taught him how to have a good time without alcohol or drugs. Of all things, he took TK to Disney and Universal Studios for spring break!

Spring break!

And TK had a great time!

Gwyneth and Owen had met him for winter vacations last year, and the pair could have not been happier that their son had found such a good boyfriend. Buck had helped TK stay sober, even as they galloped down the East Coast. TK was now three years sober. They couldn't be prouder.

"Buck!" Owen hugged their son's boyfriend. "Congratulations in graduating! Manga Cum Laude! Not to mention, getting the top score of your Firefighter Academy class!"

"Thank you, cap," Buck's beautiful blue eyes were sparkling with happiness.

"Oh, Buck! Congratulations!" Gwyneth dragged Buck into a tight hug. TK also told us that you got certified as a paramedic, we are so proud of you!"

"Thank you, Gwen," Buck kissed her cheek in greeting.

They then went to pick their bags and got in Owen's car.

"Have you already made your choice in Fire House?" Owen inquired as he drove, using the rearview mirror to look at Buck, who was cuddling his son on the backseat. "There's always a spot open in my team."

"Thank you, cap, but I've already accepted the offer from House 51 in Chicago," Buck answered, tighetning his hold on TK. "Their rescue squad, Squad 3, had an opening. They work hand-in-hand with the firefighters of Engine 51 and the parademics of the Fire House. I also scored some shifts in the ambulance, to put in practice what I've learned."

"I see, well I'm happy you found a pplace for yourself," Owen told him. "When do you start?"

"Right after I finish my roadtrip with TK," Buck answered.

"Where will you be going this time?" Gwenyth cut in, noticing how the conversation was saddening her son.

"We are staying in New York City for a while, go to the Statue of Liberty, watch a Broadway Show, then go to Long Island," Buck smiled.

"I am making sure he gets to visit all the good spots," TK smiled at his boyfriend, giving him a short kiss. "Then we are going to Placid Lake and the Niagara Falls. From there we'll go to Finger Lakes, Boston, Pittsburgh, Ithaca, and we will finish the trip in the Acadia National Park, in Maine!"

"So many places," Owen whistled impressed. "Young guys know how to have a good time."

"Here we are!" Gwen exclaimed as they reached her apartment building. She grabbed TK and left Owen and Buck with the bags, as she dragged her son to the elevator. Once inside and alone, she asked him the question that she had been dying to ask. "How are you really doing?"

"I'm getting there," TK confessed with a small smile. "I'm keeping with up with my therapist, the one Buck recommended I started seeing, and we are dealing with this as a team. This roadtrip will be good for me... for us. Just because he's leaving to Chicago, it does not mean the two years we've spent together did not happen. I know I can count on him, even after we break up."

"I am so proud of you son," Gwenyth turned to her son with such a tender and soft look in her face, that had TK tearing.

"Thank you mom... for everything. For being with me while I was going to rehab, for not giving up on me, for being proud even after all the screw up I've made," TK thanked his mother.

"You are my son of course, I'll never give up on you," Gwen hugged TK tightly. "Now come on, I'm sure you and your hunk of a boyfriend must be starving," she teased as she entered her apartment. "Let's get you some food!"

"Mom!" TK whined, blushing at the teasing- however, there was a smile on his face as he followed her inside.