Chapter 3 ~ Expectations

The badly drawn map doesn't lead me to the main garden, but past it. I trust it, figuring Stella would have a private garden anyway. The fae working don't even give me a second glance without my rhinestones. It's oddly freeing to be seen as normal.

I stop at a door, nowhere near Stella's rooms. Just to be sure, I take a long look at the map. Someone must take pity on me, because footsteps approach and a soft voice asks,

"Do you need any help?"

I turn my head and see sparkling green eyes looking at me. Like jewels, their setting only makes them stand out more. Framed by auburn hair, their face is welcoming.

"Yes, that would be lovely," I answer, holding the map out. They move to stand beside me, warm breath fanning over my shoulder. Nobody has voluntarily stood this close to me in a long time. My body isn't sure how to react, how to cope with this situation.

"From what I can tell, you seem to be in the right place," The faerie smiles at me, still standing very close. I try to control my breath, control my heart rate.

"Thank you, I best carry on then." I force myself to break eye contact and smile.

"Always happy to help." The faerie bows and walks away. Just before they turn the corner, a smile is thrown over their shoulder.

"Focus," I mutter to myself. The large oak doors have vines carved into them, so I focus on that to try to calm my heart.

I push a door open, revealing a beautiful garden. Ivy twists around trees, Dahlias planted beneath them. The trees stretch up into the sky, seeming to go up forever. A few birds flutter around, and bees buzz closer to the ground.

I let the door go and walk forward. The door closes behind me, blocking out the rest of the noise in the house.

"Calm yourself DreamCrafter. I can smell the arousal on you."

A male voice echoes through the garden, disrupting my peace. Arousal? I've never been close enough to anyone to feel that before.

"Show yourself." I call, not quite yelling yet not quite talking either. I hear footsteps coming from the left of me and whirl that way.

"You've got moxie DreamCrafter, I'll grant you that." Lapis strolls into the clearing, hands in pockets. His blond hair is slicked back, not falling over his eyes like normal.

"Heir," I give Lapis a small bow, and use his official title. "Why did you summon me?"

"Drop the formalities, Amethyst. I need you to help me," Lapis walks closer, until he's only a few steps away.

"Help you how, exactly?" I ask, trying to not show my disappointment that he's not Stella.

"As you probably know, I am betrothed. The faerie lives here and never leaves. I have not met her yet." Lapis runs a hand through his hair, obviously under stress.

"What do you need me for?" I'm intrigued, the female's father must hold a high position here for his daughter to never leave.

"Befriend her. Let me know what she's like. She's only 15, and I don't want to scare her." He scuffs his feet, and I realize he's nervous. Wings tucked, and face slightly flushed, I don't know how I didn't see it before.

"I can try, most fae don't like me," that much of the statement is true. "Only the Façonneur Magique tolerates me."

"That's the beauty of this. My darling betrothed is one of you. Her father just refused to send her to the château." Lapis smiles at me, and I can understand why he asked me rather than Stella.

Where Stella has connections to the faeries betrothed, I can remain mysterious. I can also relate to her more, being Façonneur Magique.

"Where can I find her?" I ask, my brain already focused on the task. If I can't help Stella, I may as well help her brother.

"Just loiter around the markets for a while, wear your Façonneur Magique pendant. She should spot that and come to say hello. Her name is Crystal." Lapis turns to walk back into the gardens. Before he disappears, he throws one last look over his shoulder, one that's unreadable.

~*~*~

The market is bustling with fae selling their wares. Normally I would be amongst them, watching people interact with me as little as possible. I start to wander, fae gasping at the pendant swinging around my neck. A star above a mountain, encircled by a crown.

Eventually I find myself on the outskirts of the market. Fewer fae walk here, most finding what they need deeper inside the square.

"Hello," a younger female faerie approaches me. Ginger hair hangs to her shoulders, blue eyes peer at me from behind a fringe. Small wings flutter, almost transparent behind her.

"Hello. What are you doing here all alone?" I ask. Quickly, my eyes flick around, looking for resemblance in any other fae.

"I'm not alone, my sister is just over there," the small faerie points towards a stall selling flowers. Sure enough, an older looking blonde faerie looks up, and the same piercing blue eyes meet mine.

She pays for her flowers, puts them in the basket, and comes over to us.

"Elida, don't run off like that," her hand goes onto the small faerie's shoulder. She pulls her slightly toward her. It's a typical protective gesture, one I see often.

"I saw her pendant, you have one, so I thought it would be fine." Elida points toward my throat.

"I'm Amethyst, sorry about the mix-up," I say, extending a hand toward the blonde fae. She clears her throat, makes like she's going to walk away.

"Crystal. This is my half-sister Elida." Crystal pulls her necklace out from under her shirt.

I wonder why she keeps it tucked away. What is the next step in befriending someone? Discuss interests? I mentally decide to ask about the flowers.

"Pretty flowers," I say, hoping that a normal person would say that.

"Yeah, my father wants me to arrange them for Equinox dinner. You could come help if you want?"