𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕒𝕞𝕚𝕝𝕪 𝕠𝕗 𝕓𝕝𝕠𝕠𝕕 (𝟚)

☆

THE FOUR HAD been rushing through the forest for a few minutes now. they'd started by running but gradually slowed into a quick walk as they got further away from the family and the school. john hadn't looked at anyone since his pleading tears and glared ahead of him, walking slightly in front of the three women. callisto didn't really want to look at him.

"this way." nurse redfern interrupted the silence, taking a few large steps to catch up to john, who looked at her in confusion. "i think i know somewhere we can hide."

"we've got to keep going." john replied firmly.

"just listen to me for once, john." nurse redfern retorted. "now, follow me."

martha and callisto followed nurse redfern without argument and john did as well, after a moment of standing still. nurse redfern began to run once more so they all quickened their paces slightly. she led them to an old down a fenced path by a field towards an old, white house that seemed to have no one inside.

nurse redfern stopped, her breathing quicker from the sudden burst of running, "here we are. it should be empty. oh, it's a long time since i've run that far."

"but who lives here?" martha asked.

"if i'm right, no one." nurse redfern answered, leading them into the home. she opened the door and was greeted with darkness. "hello? no one home. we should be safe here."

"whose house is it?" callisto questioned, looking around the room, noticing the table had teacups set up.

"the cartwright's. that little girl at the school, she's lucy cartwright, or she's... taken lucy cartwright's form. if she came home this afternoon, and if the parents tried to stop their little girl... then... they were vanished." nurse redfern explained. she picked up one of the teacups. "stone cold. how easily i accept these ideas."

john slumped down in a wooden chair, eyes wide and tearful, face so full of sadness and desperation callisto almost pitied the made up human.

"i must go to them, before anyone else dies." john stated.

"you can't." nurse redfern denied, sitting down beside him. "martha, callisto, there must be something we can do."

"not without the watch." martha shrugged.

"you're this doctor's companion, can't you help?" john spat at martha furiously. "what exactly do you do for him? why does he need you?"

"because he's lonely." martha answered, glancing subtly at callisto because she knew she felt just as alone.

"and that's what you want me to become?" john asked in horror. then he turned his hatred towards callisto. "what about you? you're supposed to be from another world, can't you fix it?"

"not in the same way. perhaps not permanently either. i'd kill them—"

"do that, then!" he yelled.

"but i don't know if that's how they work! i've not once encountered this species, i do not understand the way they function completely!" callisto shot back. "i don't know if they could just escape their chosen forms as they die and steal another. they could potentially steal mine and that would help no one."