Pretend Family (20)

Rui fell to the ground and their head collapsed. Nezuko also fell to the ground fatigue. The threads holding Tanjiro burnt, so Tanjiro fell down with a thud.

"Tanjiro... Tanjiro! I won... I won... My father saved me... I'm not sure why I was able to unleash that attack with the kagura that's been in put family for generations. But that's what saved me! I was able to beat him!" Nezuko cried.

Nezuko sat up, but her vision blurred.

'Huh? I can't see Tanjiro! Is it because I took too many breaths?' Nezuko thought, "ack!"

She clutched her chest.

'The ringing in my ears is brutal! My whole body is throbbing with pain!' 

She began to crawl forward.

'I gotta... heal up fast! I'm still not done fighting! I have to save Inosuke! Right away!'

The strong smell of blood filled Nezuko's nose.

"Ah!" She gasped, 'the scent of blood just got stronger! Come to think about it, it didn't give off the scent of ash. Don't tell me...'

Rui held their head in their arms as they approached Nezuko.

"Even though I chopped off their head?!" Nezuko exclaimed.

Rui pulled some threads and their head was pulled up by threads.

"You thought you defeated me? Poor kid. Did your pathetic delusion bring you joy? I cut my head off with my own threads... before you could chop it off." Rui spoke.

Nezuko continued to crawl away from Rui.

"Enough. I'll kill you and your brother. I haven't been this enraged in a while." Rui said.

'Get up! Get up right now! Get your breathing under control! Hurry! Right now!' Nezuko thought.

"But I wonder why you're not burning up from those green flames." Rui questioned.

Rui reattached their head.

"But it was only me and my threads that caught fire, right? I don't know if it's your brother's power, but thanks for getting me super annoyed. Now I can carve you up with no regrets."

'If you use the correct breathing techniques, it makes no difference how exhausted you are!' Nezuko thought.

"Blood Demon Art... Murderous Eye Basket." Rui said.

Red threads closed in on Nezuko.

'Don't panic! Don't let it disrupt your breathing! Calm down... if you calm down! I-I can't raise my arm!' Nezuko panicked.

The threads cut into Nezuko.

"Gah!" Nezuko cried out.

A Demon Slayer cut the threads instantly. The sword looked familiar.

'Somebody's here. Is it Zenitsu..?' Nezuko thought.

"You did a good job holding out until I got here. Leave the rest to me." Giyuu Tomioka said.

"Ah..!" Nezuko gasped.

"You're like an endless stream of lowlifes always getting in my way! Blood Demon Art... Cutting Thread Rotation!" Rui scoffed.

Rui sent their attacked directed at Tomioka.

"Total Concentration... Water Breathing... Eleventh Form. Dead Calm." Tomioka said, letting his arms rest at his side.

"Eleventh Form?!" Nezuko exclaimed.

"Who cares about your Eleventh Form?!" Rui exclaimed.

They attacked Tomioka, but the threads didn't even touch him.