Chapter 32 - Joint Training Fiasco

Izuku wasn't surprised when Kendo's team won, but hearing Vlad King's biased commentary together with a win for 1-B was grating for a lot of his classmates. Monoma's taunting didn't help either... Izuku knew he'd mellow out in the following years, but that didn't mean he wasn't grateful when Kendo ended it all with a chop to the head. Kyoka shot him a glance before turning back to a part of the Bakusquad, a group she'd organically become a part of over the course of the years. She blamed Denki for that.

"Have you talked to Izuku lately?"

Katsuki frowned at her, glancing back at the green head, who was happily showing his analysis to Tsu, before looking back at Kyoka.

"You do realize who you're talking to, right?" Katsuki asked, but Kyoka simply rolled her eyes. "He's my damn boyfriend, of fucking course I talk to him."

"No, but seriously," she said. "Something is up with him and I'm worried. When I went to his room the other day to get extra info on the whole rewind thing, he was crying. And he told me he's having trouble controlling his quirk, too."

She could tell this was new information by the way his face scrunched up into a frown and morphed into a glare. He marched over seconds later, pulling Izuku with him to the side. Oh great, seems like she'd just unlocked the newest loverboy drama... Speaking of loverboys-

"And you must be bummed out that you're not teaming up with your man, right?" she asked, elbowing Denki in the side. "Don't hold back against him just because you like him, got it?"

"Kyoka!" Denki whined, covering his face with his hands as it flushed red.

"Come on man, you still got the chance to impress him!" Eijirou grinned. "Flex a little. Show him how manly you are!"

"I'm not sure Oshi is into that, but thanks," Denki groaned, dragging his hands down his face. As he did, he caught the eye of Shinsou. Determined, a little competitive, and maybe a hint of admiration? He couldn't really tell, not with those tired eyes. Denki had always been pretty good at reading people, figuring out their expressions and little habits. But the way Hitoshi looked at him right now... He hadn't looked at him like that, like, ever!

"It's weird he doesn't have the whole rival thing with Izuku going on right now... Who defeated him at the sportsfest again?" Kyoka asked, following Denki's eyes towards the purple haired teen. Denki groaned even louder at that. Of course it had to be him! That's what that look meant!

"I'm never gonna get him back," he whined, earning a pat on the back from Eijirou.

"I'm sure it's not that bad."

//\\
\\//

Not that bad his ass.

Their team consisted of him, Kyoka, Tenya and Shoji. That meant they had two people who could survey the area and tell the location of others. Tenya was their main fighter, he was physically one of the strongest and also the fastest. His attacks were precise, while Denki's covered a larger range. They had a pretty good set up and a solid plan, at least Denki thought so until their opponents tore holes in it.

And now he was facing Shinsou all on his own with no way to call for help. No, if he started talking now, he was pretty sure he wouldn't be able to stop himself from answering one of Shinsou's questions. Denki didn't realize how slippery Shinsou could be while he utilized his binding cloth, not getting a good hit on him with his new support item. If he couldn't hit him or get him in a good position, he couldn't attack. Of course he could just let go of his quirk and electrify everything around him, but that would leave him dumb struck, a liability to his teamates.

"Is this all you can do?" Shinsou asked. "I heard great things about the hero course... I must say I'm not impressed."

Denki gritted his teeth, jumping away as Shinsou attacked. He couldn't do anything right now! Damnit! The only thing he could do was run or hope one of his teammates would find him. But they were probably busy dealing with the others now that it became a three on four... Even now he was a liability to his team, and he hadn't even done anything yet!