Take A Chance On Me {13}

Callum’s eyes landed on me and he sat up in surprise. “Tate? You’re awake!” He exclaimed, eyes filling with surprise.

                “Uh, I could be saying the same to you. Why are you in my room?” I asked, not that I actually minded.

                Callum blushed a little and rubbed the back of his neck. “Your brother called me when you didn’t come home. We found you unconscious in the bathroom at the park.” His expression darkened. “It was them, wasn’t it Tate? They hurt you?”

                I nodded slowly, remembering the death threat I had received before I had passed out. I couldn’t remember who had said it though.

                Callum stood up and came over to me. He gently pushed me forward and inspected the back of my head.

                “I’m going to go get Craig,” he said. “You just stay in bed. Please don’t try to get up Tate.”

                “What are you going to do? Force me to stay in my bed?” I asked, waggling my eyebrows at him.

                Callum rolled his eyes at me. “Even after getting viciously beaten, you’re still a pervert,” he mumbled with a sigh and a slight smile.

                I watched him as he moved out of my bedroom. I lay back against my pillows, gently touching the back of my head and wincing. They really did a number on my head. As if I needed more brain damage.

                A minute later, Callum returned to my room with Craig following him. Craig glanced at me and concern entered his eyes.

                “Are you okay Tate?” He asked anxiously.

                “How did you find me?” I questioned, ignoring the question.

                He chewed on his lip and shrugged. “You were gone a long time. I got worried. So I called around until I got Callum’s number. I called him, but he said he hadn’t seen you since you left school. Then I remembered that you used to go to the park with Eric and the rest of them. We went there and searched around for a little. Then we…found you.” He dropped his gaze, his expression darkening at the memory just like Callum’s did.

“After we decided not to take you to the hospital, Callum picked you up and carried you to his car. We brought you here. He was keeping an eye on you.” He gestured to Callum, and Callum looked away shyly.

                “Where were you?” I asked suspiciously, searching his eyes. He was hiding something. I could tell when my little brother was trying to hide something from me.

                “Making a phone call,” he replied nervously, back to chewing on his lip and not meeting my eyes.

                “Making a phone call to whom, Craig?” I demanded.

                But before he got the chance to answer, I heard the front door opening. My face paled as Craig chewed on his lip harder. Oh please tell me he didn’t actually think my parents were going to be helpful in this situation.

                “Craig?” My mother called, sounding slightly afraid. “Craig, where are you? Are you okay?”

                “I’ll be right back,” Craig said, moving towards my bedroom door. “Callum, don’t let him get out of his bed.” He left my room, and I listened hard as Callum moved to stand beside the bed.