Take A Chance On Me {4}

The next day, I arrived at school with a new purpose in life. Get Callum’s attention! Yeah, yeah, it sounds pathetic, but I don’t care. The way I feel when his calm brown eyes look at me for any amount of time, I just….get all tingly.

Shaking my head at my girly thoughts, I whistle as I go to my locker, thinking of the plan I made up. See, the plan for Callum’s attention today is simple.

I brought my favorite skateboard, and I am going to grind like a boss down the stairway rail! Brilliant eh? I grinned to myself, grabbing my books and putting my skateboard in their place. I headed off to class, humming and adjusting my gray slouch beanie when I accidentally bumped into Brandon again. Great.

“Oh, hey there Tate! Ah, I remember when we use to ‘bump’ into each other on purpose.” He said with a sly grin, and I had to keep myself from face palming.

“Seriously Brandon, did your IQ go down since we dated?”

“Heh, do I need my head examined?” He said, moving closer to me. I made an ‘ew’ face and pushed him back a step. Why did I date him?

“If you had your head examined I’m afraid they wouldn’t find anything.” He furrowed his brow in confusion and I rolled my eyes.

“Not that head, you ignoramus.” I brushed past him, seeing my group of friends at the hall. I felt anger bubble up inside of me, but I ignored it. They’re my friends, they didn’t mean what they said. Right?

“Hey guys.” I said as I walked up to them. Tabitha shrugged, Rupert gave me the ‘sup’ head nod, and Ashley waved. I noticed Eric wasn’t there.

“Where’s Eric?” I looked around, not seeing him lurking anywhere. Maybe he was off buying overly expensive shoes and watching kids drown.

Not that I was still mad about the pool incident. Nope, 100 percent over it.

“Ugh, off wasting his time on that Callum kid again. He’s almost not worth bullying, but he just enjoys it too much.” Tabitha said, and I bit my lip. I couldn’t help but be worried about him.

“Uh, hey guys, I’ll be right back okay?” I said, and they gave me weird looks.

‘’Where are you going?” Rupert asked.

“Just to the bathroom, sheesh, get off my back.” I snapped and rushed away, huffing. What do they care where I’m going? They didn’t care if I drowned. What am I even doing? Gah, I don’t know why I feel the need to look for Callum and make sure he’s okay, but I do. I stalked down the hall, looking left and right for any sign of them. Nope, nowhere.

Realization dawned on me and I turned and headed toward the bathroom, quickening to a jog. If I know Eric, and I do, one of his favorite types of humiliation for people was a good swirly in the toilet.

When I got to the bathroom, I rushed in to find Eric trying to shove Callum into one of the tiny stalls. It didn’t look like he was resisting exactly, it just looked like he wouldn’t….fit, the way he was trying to shove him in, shoulders first. He’s got pretty broad shoulders.

Against my better judgment I started to laugh, and Eric snapped his head up and scowled.

“Don’t just stand there laughing! Help me out douche wad!” I shook my head, walking up to him. I smirked, instead of trying to shove him in I pulled him out, making it look like an accident. Callum landed clumsily on top of Eric, who let out a pathetic squeal/grunt when Callum’s 6’1 frame fell on him.

“Get -pant- him -grunt - off!” Eric struggled out, and Callum rolled off and stood up, brushing off his shoulders. Eric glared at him red faced, pointing a finger.