six

Alyssa couldn't lie and say she wasn't afraid when Laena was labouring. It sounded scary; so incredibly painful. To hear her groan and yell from the pain of it.

She hid herself away while it was happening. Alyssa hoped it would go by fast, that she'd have her siblings and it would be over quickly. But to her dismay and surprise, it went on for hours.

Daemon was always near, was checking in with the Maester and midwife, in the room when she wanted and out when she didn't.

He found Alyssa with her knees pressed to her chest and cowering in Laena's room. It was a comfort while she was in pain and labouring. She was the only mother Alyssa could fully remember, felt comfort from.

"Is she okay?" Alyssa asked finally, looking up at her father.

"Everything is going well, little dragon. This is normal. Laena is strong and she is brave. She's going to be fine." Daemon caressed Alyssa's hair but watched her face pale.

"This is normal?" That was what she would have to do. At least, that's what she'd been told. Marrying.

Daemon gave a small chuckle and pulled Alyssa from where she sat. "Come. Rest and when you wake, it will be over."

Alyssa was put to bed by Daemon. Tucked in and kissed on the forehead, he left her to sleep while he returned to his labouring wife. Not much longer, they'd assured. But that could mean anything.

It was early morning when Laena finally delivered both of her twins. After many hours and exhaustive efforts, both babies were safe and alive.

"Twin girls, my prince."

Two more daughters. Both with the same beautiful silver hair as their mother and golden umber skin.

Many men would have been dejected at the news. That they'd had a second and third daughter, not a son. But Daemon Targaryen wasn't most men.

He didn't care about his children having cocks. They were beautiful. They were perfect and they had his blood. That was all that mattered.

Baela and Rhaena. For Daemon's father and Laena's mother. Perfect twin girls.

They sent the news by letter. That she'd delivered two healthy baby girls. And subsequently, the two dragon eggs that had been sent as gifts were placed in the cradles.

Alyssa wasn't woken to meet her sisters. Daemon and Laena left her to rest while they did the same. Got Laena cleaned up and cared for after her hours of agony and exertion.

And when Alyssa did finally wake, with maids helping her dress, they took her to see Laena.

She was extremely quiet when she entered, a little nervous she would disturb what peace there was.

Laena smiled when she saw her stepdaughter; she was laying in the bed holding one of the babies. Daemon was standing next to her with the other in his arms.

"Sisters, Alyssa. You were right," Laena said, a contented smile on her face when she noticed those mismatched eyes light up. "Rhaena," in reference to the baby she held, "and Baela." Laena gestured with her head to Daemon.