thirty-four

thank you all so much for over 100k reads. I'm so grateful for you all, you have no idea

comment your hearts out so I can laugh and talk to you guys <3

i v o r y

     Harry believed me.

     He had no reason not to.

     After Em, Mickie, and Jenna left back to Boston early the next morning, I told him I'd gotten the opportunity to meet up with one of my old professors at a conference at my alma mater. That it'd be a great chance for me to get a solid letter of recommendation for my future job—whatever that may be.

I hated lying. I hated lying to Harry even more. So, I actually found a conference to go to at Boston University. It was an alumni meet-and-greet for the new year.

     Convincing the Boston crew would be another hill to climb, but I planned on telling them the day-of. To be fair, I'd had a couple discussions with them while they were here about how I was getting antsy about finding a dependable, well-paying job in the area. It wouldn't seem too otherworldly to want to get some inspiration from the conference.

     To get my mind off things, and to also figure out why Zuri was being so dodgy with my texts lately, I told her to meet me at Gene's Cafe after my opening shift at the diner.

     Zuri: I'm meeting with someone for a commission piece, I'm sorry!

     >> I'll wait here all day. You better come.

     Zuri: omg don't do that I don't know how long this is going to take

For a consultation? She and I both knew it would take an hour max. She was bullshitting me.

     >> It's fine. I'll just tell Jamie he's gotta go hungry today.

     Zuri: You're so full of shit

>> So are you

Zuri: I'll be there in 30

     I texted Mom next to see how Jamie was doing, and she told me Bobby had come over for a play date. They'd be starting school again the day after I got back from Boston. Already, Jamie was nearly halfway done with kindergarten.

    Not very long passed before Zuri was walking into the cafe. It certainly hadn't been thirty minutes—maybe fifteen or so. She looked flustered and her demeanor was a hell of a lot different than what it was Christmas Day. She wore a chunky sweater, leggings, and a beanie. Her hair was braided and her face was makeup-free. None of these details were out of the ordinary, but it was very rare to see Zuri out and about without looking like she'd just walked off of a cover shoot.

     I slid over the honey latte I'd gotten for her. "Peace offering for making you meet me."

     She squeezed my knee. "Thanks, babe."

     "How was the consultation?"

Her nose crinkled. "You know damn well there wasn't a consultation."