Just Say Yes

Just Say Yes

*Based off Snow Patrol’s song Just Say Yes :)*

I met Summer when she was 15.

It was by chance, really. I was working in the local supermarket and she was working next door in a ladies fashion boutique shop. She came in one day, with her blondey brown locks scooped up high on the top of her head in a messy bun and I remember clearly that she was wearing bright red lipstick which caught my eye.

‘Hiya, have you got change for a twenty?’ She asked me casually, waving a purple twenty pound note up in the air.

I then stuttered, ‘S-sure.’

I wanted to shoot myself. I have never been that weird over a girl before that I couldn’t even speak to her. I was Noah Kingly. Girls loved me. Girls adored me. But the feeling wasn't mutual and shamefully I have had many casual flings to fill up my little black book.

But Summer, well, she was different to every other girl. But right then I couldn’t put my finger on it.

I took the twenty from her fingertips and she grinned at me as I exchanged it for some change, with her making small talk with me to make me feel more comfortable around her. Her attitude was effortless; she was sweet and sincere and wasn’t throwing herself at me like most girls would.

It was strange, but I loved it.

Her visits became a daily, and then an hourly thing between us. Some days she’s just come in with a single pound coin, grinning at me to change it.

I knew I had to do something. I knew I had to ask her out.

She was busy telling me about her younger sister Amelia who was trying to wear all of her clothes one day, when I blurted out, ‘Will you go out with me?’

I couldn’t have sounded more immature if I tried, like I exploded that question onto her before I forgot the words.

Summer being Summer tilted her head and laughed at me, genuinely laughed at me. Not fake laughs like I was used to hearing from the girls I used to hang around with. No, Summer was properly laughing at me in an endearing way.

‘So…will you?’ I added, feeling more like the pathetic fool.

Then it dawned on her that I was actually being serious and her face fell. ‘Oh gosh, Noah. I-I- didn’t think you were being serious.’ She bit down on her bright ruby red lips and fiddled with her fingers, then glancing back up at me. ‘I don’t know what to say.’

‘Um, just say yes?’ I asked with a hopeful smile.

She blushed and looked out of the shop window, ‘Noah, you’re lovely, like really lovely, but we’re so different. You’re 18! My mum and dad would go mental if I told them I was going out with an 18 year old!’

I smiled at her sincere cuteness and she blushed.

‘And anyway, you must be confused with someone else. I’m boring Summer Maxwell! I’ve never been with a guy before. I rarely even talk to guys, like I’m a total novice!’

‘I don’t mind that one bit,’ I grinned at her.

She smirked at me, ‘You would, wouldn’t you?’

‘Go on, just one date, just as friends if you want?’

She twisted her lips before holding out her hand, ‘Shake on it and you’ve got a deal.’

I eagerly did and she rolled her eyes playfully.

We exchanged numbers before she left and I felt like I was floating. I was going on a date with Summer Maxwell. What could be more perfect?