Took Me A While

A young boy lived near a serene lake with his father. Every day, they went fishing together, and the boy would watch his father tie the Palomar Knot to the hook with the rod. Then, he would open a small tackle box filled with bait and jigs, take some and put them on the hook. After dropping the hook in the water, the boy's father would steadily hold the pole horizontal to the water until the bobber floated above it. His father would catch 7-8 fish daily, which was enough for their livelihood.

The boy longed to catch fish himself, but he wasn't allowed to until he turned 12. Today was his special day, and he woke up early, eager to fulfill his dream of becoming a great fisherman like his father. With each breath, he felt the final moment getting closer and closer. He prepared all the necessary gear, including a cardboard box that he turned into his handmade tackle box, bait and jigs that he borrowed from his father's tackle box, and a fishing pole that he made with a long bamboo stick that was cut from a tree in the forest far from the lake. He tied a hook with the tip of the pole using threads passed by a bobber, and he was all set for his precious day. Now was the time for fishing, and they arrived near the lake.

"Your day has finally come!" cheered his father.

"Yes! I have been waiting so long for this," replied the boy with excitement.

"Go get them, boy," his father encouraged, handing him his fishing rod.

"I have mine," said the boy, beaming with pride.

"In that case, let me teach you," his father started, but the boy interrupted him. "Don't bother, dad. I got this."

Having watched his father do it for 7 years, the boy knew the exact steps and precautions needed. He swung the pole and put the hook with bait inside the lake, leaving the bobber floating on its surface. After a while, the floater started moving, and he shouted with joy, "Gotcha!" He pulled out the pole with effort, but the fish was stronger. So, he pushed back and finally caught not one but two medium-sized fish at the same time. He had set up two pouches of bait tied with the hook.

"Damn boy! You outsmarted me. When I was your age, I couldn't do it the first time. You are a good learner and a better innovator. Taking two at once definitely saves time," his father congratulated.

The boy didn't say anything, and he gazed at those two fishes with empathy. The way they gasped for air gave him shivers. Suddenly, he went and put his face underwater, stayed there for a while, then rose up and gasped for oxygen. He let the fish in the lake.

"Why?" his father inquired.

"I can't," he replied.

"What? You're a fisherman's son, and you know fishing so well. It's just your first day. You'll get used to it if you practice daily. Let's do it again tomorrow."

The boy didn't answer, and they went home. That day, he didn't eat, and for the next 4-5 days, he stayed at home, pondering the thought of the fish gasping.

The boy continued to struggle with his conscience for several days, unable to reconcile his desire to fish with the guilt he felt overtaking the lives of the creatures he so admired. His father noticed the change in his son's behavior and decided to have a talk with him.

"Son, I know it's been tough for you to go fishing lately. But let me tell you about our family's tradition of fishing. Do you remember your great-grandfather?"

The boy nodded, recalling the stories his father had told him about the elderly fisherman who had once saved the village from a giant fish.

"Well, your great-grandfather was not just a fisherman. He was a hero. He caught the giant fish that was terrorizing our village and made sure that everyone had enough food to eat. He taught us the importance of fishing, not just for ourselves but for our community as well."

The boy listened intently, realizing for the first time that fishing wasn't just a hobby but a way of life for his family.

"But, dad," the boy interrupted, "I can't bring myself to do it. I feel so guilty every time I catch a fish."

His father smiled understandingly. "I know it's hard for you, son. And I'm sorry if I made you feel like you had to fish just because I do. That was never my intention. You can choose your own path in life, and I will support you no matter what you decide to do."

The boy felt a wave of relief wash over him, grateful for his father's understanding. "Thank you, dad. I want to make you and our family proud, but I don't think fishing is my calling."

His father hugged him tightly. "You already make me proud, son. You're a good person with a kind heart, and that's what matters most to me. Let's go home and have some lunch. And tomorrow, we'll find something else to do together, something that you enjoy."

The boy felt a sense of peace wash over him, knowing that his father loved him for who he was, not for what he did. And as they walked back to their house, he realized that even though he might not be a fisherman, he was still a part of his family's legacy, and that was something to be proud of.

CONCLUSION

While it's important to respect and appreciate our family traditions and history, it's equally important to find our own path and follow our passions. It's essential to understand and empathize with others' perspectives and to communicate and come to a mutual understanding, especially within families. We can learn from our experiences and from those around us, and use that knowledge to make our own choices and create our own legacy.