That Magical Sound of Your Name (Spring 3)

III.

"Good lord, you look awful!" The princess looked at Madoka. She could only hide her head in shame, but the princess caressed her cheeks. "I'll get some ice and you lay here tight."

"Wait," Madoka tried to protest, but she was too tired. The princess would do whatever she wanted.

She detested herself. The princess was not someone she should rely on, even if the feelings for her remained conflicting. Every part of Madoka was bruised and weak. She could not stand or move on her own. How long will she continue to be a burden?

Fiara returned with a bag full of ice created from magic and placed it squarely on Madoka's leg. The Healers were going to help her soon.

"You're doing so well," She soothed Madoka, hopping under the covers. "Training hard for me."

"Y-your Highness," she stammered as the princess rested her head on Madoka's shoulder. "You're asleep, aren't you?"

A snore was her only response. This time was for Madoka to finally give in and close her eyes.

It seemed only like an instant that she had them closed. Madoka's head pounded as she woke, but the princess was no longer by her side. Madoka cracked an eye open and noticed that it was dark outside. A candle flickered from the translucent lantern on the table with its meager light bobbing up and down within its cage. In the distance, she could hear scribbling on parchment from a fastidious hand Madoka was all too familiar with.

She tried to speak, but only breath would leave her lips. Not that it mattered, for Princess Fiara noticed it immediately. The quill was set aside in its ink well, chair scooting away as she made her way to Madoka. "Madoka!"

"G-good morning, Your Highness," Madoka breathed. The princess embraced her again. "How long have I been out?"

Princess Fiara contemplated it for a moment. "Oh, about all day."

A whole day. Madoka's heart sank. There were so many things to clean. The princess already could tell what she was worried about.

"You're fine. The healers did their voodoo magic stuff on you," she told Madoka. "Just consider it a sick day, or something. Maybe you'll get worker's comp. Is that even a thing in this world? My step-dad used to blab about his hand in an accident about it. Who knows!"

"You're as lively as ever, Your Highness," Madoka scolded her. "And it is late at night."

"Nae waah!" the princess pouted. "You're still working even though you're deathly wounded!"

"I-It's nothing," Madoka looked away, hiding a blush at the princess's concerns. "No problem at all, we have so much work to do-"

"Oh yeah!" the princess exclaimed loudly but then she piped down after a sharp look from Madoka. "I'm sorry. I just have been so excited that you're awake, I..."

Was the princess really apologizing to me? Madoka thought. She could not process the princess's words. If anything she should be the one apologizing for her foolish training with that infuriating noble for causing her trouble. The memory of that Cherish-man made her seize up. She must not tell princess Fiara why she was so hurt.

"I-I've been working hard too, Madoka!" Princess Fiara pointed to the desk. "Had to move my studies over here to be near you at all times, but I've been making headway into these notes."

"Notes?" Madoka was curious, albeit with a certain apprehension on what they were on.

"Magic," she rose with a confident grin. "It can wait til—"

"Don't tell m-me," Madoka sat up, but her injuries rapidly caught up to her. Ringing and severe headaches struck her back down onto the bed. Her body felt broken. Her mind felt like it was dangling in a state of helplessness.