Chapter 11

I woke groggily, slowly remembering where I was. Kiva still slept soundly next to me, her blonde curls tangled. She had to be sleeping more peacefully knowing she didn't have to depend on me singly, to protect her.

Dayta lay across from us still out but Rye was sitting up as much as possible in this tight space.

"Oh, your up." She said then silently handed me a piece of bread. It was a small portion but I could care less at the moment. "I picked this up at the Cornucopia. It's only one loaf but it should last a while." She seemed doubtful but hopeful.

Of course, once more of use died off there'd be less to eat the bread. Shaking my head I bit into the soft bread. Even for being in the arena it was pretty delicious. Pulling my bag close to me I searched for the sac of fruits.

Two apples, one pear, and five oranges were all that was left. Oranges was something I ate for breakfast at home. Maybe if we split two everyone could have a shared portion.

"Here." I passed one to Rye. "We'll split between everyone." She nodded, retrieving a small knife from her pocket. I took the last knife I had from my bag and sliced into the thin peel around the orange. It took a lot not to shiver remembering I used an identical knife to kill another tribute.

Two slices for everyone should be enough. Any extra could be saved for later. Food could not be spent quickly. Making sure to have two extra portions I climbed through the hole of our hideout. Where was Derik? And Cooper, he was to swap watches with Derik early this morning yet there was no sign of either of them.

Not wanting to stray to far I stopped twenty feet from the mound. "Derik!" I called but not too loudly, careers and other tributes could be near by.

My mind wondered to last night. There had been a cannon, could it be, no it wasn't I was sure. No matter what I told myself I began to panic until I heard the familiar call.

A tune, a whistle that my brother and I used when hunting in the woods to signal each other. I returned my slightly different tune and within moments the brown head bobbed around the corner of a tree followed by a darker head, Cooper.

"Morning." He muttered, refraining from adding the 'good' before it. "I was just setting snares." He gave me a one armed hug when he reached me.

"Oh, ok. Here's some breakfast." I held the Orange slices out to both of them. Cooper took his gratefully while Derik took half.

"You eat the other." He offered walking away before I could refuse.

"No, I had my share." I pressed.

"I'm not hungry for it, eat it." He called softly back.

Sighing I did so, for my stubborn brother who never listened. Cooper and I followed his retreating figure to the cave in the mound. He entered silently. We stopped at the entrance knowing there was no more space inside.

"I heard a canon last night." I say through the hole.

"That was the girl from 8, I think the careers got her. They're after the big ally groups like us and districts 7 and 8." Derik explained to everyone. Rye nodded seriously, Kiva's eyes grew, Dayta glanced at me and Cooper, and we stared.

"What are we doing today?" Rye questioned.

"Gathering more food. I set some snares we'll see this afternoon if I caught anything. Dayta, you and Rye know plants, right?" They nodded. "You two go see what you can find. Kail, Kiva and Cooper will stay close to here to hunt with me.

The group nodded in unison of agreement before exiting the mound. Rye weaponized herself, arming Dayta with a knife and herself two spears and throwing knives. I grabbed my bow which Derik and I would share. Cooper had four more spears to throw and Kiva was simply being protected while we hunted. She would not want to remain alone anywhere.