Chapter 4

-Elena's POV-

'Fire.'

'My skin burned like fire. The mere thought of her hands on my skin was enough to relieve the pain that I felt the moment I was away from her.'

'It had only been a month. Four weeks, two days. I had only met her a month ago and now I find myself unable to hold back from running in her direction.'

'I wanted her. I knew she wanted me, across the halls of the ball, she looked at me just how I looked at her, with longing.'

'Believe me, I tried to hold back away from her. She's engaged, she has a lover, she does not belong to me... but my instincts just push me towards her. I cannot control it as much as I want to.'

'I'll just hold out a month away from her. No matter how much it hurts me, how much it hurts her, we cannot be together.'

This is insane. Absolutely insane.

I sat by my window, reading through the journal, once again.

I've read through the pages, again and again, but I have yet to understand the pull that a small connection can have on people. There's no way one can feel pain out of just... staying away from someone who they're 'meant' to be with.

Is this how I'm gonna be with Klaus? God no...

We're hybrids, it can be different, I can withhold it more than a normal werewolf. I can. I'm not gonna give in.

My eyes wander back to the words, and I continue to read the following week's entry. The words faded with time and sweat but were very legible.

'I gave in. It was inevitable. After a week of holding back on the pain, merely looking at her caused me to break apart and pull her away from the crowd.'

'Her touch alone relieved me of any pain. I was free of the pain that felt never ending. Her touch is all I need. It soothes all the pain and it makes me feel complete. I have no clue how things are going to work with her fiance but that seems to be her last concern, she feels the same way that I do. Being without another is not a possibility, I need her, she needs me.'

Obsession? This cannot be love, it sounds like... lust.

I don't want this. Klaus is one of the last people in this entire universe I'd want to end up with. He's all the bad things put together, insufferable.

I bang my head softly on the glass beside me, gritting my teeth and holding back any sounds of complaint from slipping past my lips.

This sucks...

Just what in the world is this connection one can feel with another person?

I put the journal down and closed my eyes against the cold glass. I can't worry about the uncontrollable, the best thing I can do is hope that I'm not affected by any of this and that I can continue to hate Klaus without being obsessed with him and his skin...

I have a little less than a month. Maybe three weeks.

Three weeks.

When I am practically half asleep by the window, Klaus' scent wakes me.

My eyes widen and I'm looking out the window to see that he's there, standing by the front door.

Why is he here...? I haven't seen him in days, why is he popping up all of the sudden?

I sit up and open the window. "Hey there?"

With his arms crossed, he's looking at me with a serious expression. "May I come in?"